Topic

Closed Cell Foam Options for 2018

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Closed Cell Foam Options for 2018

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am kinda old school and don’t care for inflatable sleeping pads….prefer something firmer.

Currently, I am using a Gossamer Gear Torso pad with a full length 1/4″ Closed Cell Foam Pad.

(I have previously used a 1/8″ pad, but found it a little too thin and felt some child from the ground on cold nights….1/4″ foam pad seemed to solve that problem for me.)

https://www.gossamergear.com/collections/sleeping-pads

What are the current light weight options for buying closed cell foam pads in 2018?

I am estimating that my current setup is about 10-14 oz in weight.

Happy with what I have, but eventually, I will need to replace what I have as it get crushed with use over time.

Seems to me that the lightweight Neo Air and other air mattresses have taken over the market, which is understandable….similar weight to have I have and more cushy.

What is a cave man to do when he wants to stay old school?

Tony

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

Looking at the foam catalog above , I wonder if you could make your own combo pad with thin less compressible foam for insulation and strategic areas with softer foam.  Foam pads tend to be unforgiving to us side sleepers.  And there is Glenn Van P’s old trick of big foam donuts for hips and shoulders. (Used with a recommended dose of Tylenol PM) ;). Seems like I would want to go to a foam store and feel the stiffness of the foams.

This also makes me remember a product before Thermarests that wrapped open cell foam in a sleeve.  One side was breathable nylon and one side was coated nylon.  It was nice    Until it rained, then it absorbed the moisture from the air and underneath you to create a nightmare.  They were also bulky to strap on to your Kelty Tioga.

Scott

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

I have this new wider Onda, the new width is nice. Very comfy for what it is-those waves! Lying on it there is no comparison between it and the traditional CCF mat-it so much better, but I can’t comment on comparing to the Zlite. The chap Matt above does tho’. At the price worth a punt for sure I reckon.

BUT not used in anger yet. My plan is to cut off about 60-70 cms for a sweet sit pad to be in the outer pocket-easy to get at-that would go under my bum and up my back when seated.

Then the 110-120 cms leftover inside the sack. At night put the seat under the torso pad-double the comfort!

That’s the plan anyway.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Appreaciate everyone’s responses and suggestions.

The Onda really look intriguing.

The market does seem a bit limited when it comes to foam pads, but the good news is that closed cell foam pads seem to last a LONG time….but it is good to know what options are for a future replacement.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond to my question.

Tony

Kevin S
    Spectator

@hiljentaa

Another new option is the Nemo Switchback. Similar to a Zlite. Slightly thicker.

https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/switchback/

Also I saw that Gossamer Gear’s Thinlight is now 77″ long.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

@valshar – Tony did you end up getting a new CCF pad?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

This also makes me remember a product before Thermarests that wrapped open cell foam in a sleeve.

North Face made some of those in the 1970s or 1980s. Great to sleep on if conditions were dry; like carrying a giant wet sponge otherwise. Went back to closed cell foam for many years, until switching to inflatable insulated pads like my current Nemo Astro Insulated Lite.

I’d love to switch back to closed cell foam for many reasons, except for these unsolved problems:

• Comfort: As a rotisserie sleeper, can’t even imagine sleeping on barely-dentable closed cell foam after sleeping on 3.5 inches of air. That old North Face pad was pretty comfy despite it’s other problems.
    • Warmth: About R4 seems to be my minimum. I’d need two Z-Lites or Ridgerests to get that, which leads to …
    • Bulk: Really hard to think about strapping two bulky pads to the outside of my pack, instead of my hardly-notice-it’s-there folded Nemo buried deep inside.

My perfect closed-cell foam mattress probably doesn’t exist, even if I compromised some. Would love to have someone prove me wrong.

Closed cell foam can rot from too much exposure to ozone and other smog ingredients – see other threads on BPL. If you live in a smoggy area, consider storying your pad in an airtight trash bag or other container.

— Rex

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

My GF brought an ONDA II back from Japan for me. Its amazing! She’s such an awesome gf…

I also haven’t used it in anger yet by subjectively on hard wood or tile floors it is more comfortable for me than my GG Nightlite pad, as well as a similar style egg crate pad that I bought a few years ago (i can’t remember where from…I think it was a cottage that no longer sells). Particularly in the all important hip region, perfectly plush, can’t feel the hard floors underneath. I even got my gf to bounce up and down on top of me (get your mind out of the gutter, it was a test!) and it still felt great. I’m 178cm, 92kg for reference.

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

Is the temperature insulation property of the Onda II on par with the other CF pads like the z-lite?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools