Topic

Clinging to Shadows.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Clinging to Shadows.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Words and images from a distant Sierra summer (2018)…

Sweeping the Garden: Clinging to Shadows.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

which is more real, the image borne in the mind or the heavy stone of the mountains perduring in space? But the stone has no awareness. Everything that does or might have awareness in nature is short lived–except perhaps for the Whitebark and its fellows.

I wonder if we’re tasked to give consciousness to all this beauty that would otherwise go unknown. Our images, our memories, that are living but passing, give a perhaps tragic context to these scenes that are completely unaware of the concerns and understanding we bring. This is our gift to nature–we bring it into fuller awareness. And nature brings us back to this task. There is reciprocity, even communion between us. I take comfort in this. I think it points to an ‘all’s well’ in the universe.

We circle the mountain that always keeps a hidden face.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

“I wonder if we’re tasked to give consciousness to all this beauty that would otherwise go unknown.”

I wonder the same.  And I can see the reciprocity.  Well spoken friend.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“This is our gift to nature–we bring it into fuller awareness. And nature brings us back to this task.”

Or perhaps we inculcate that awareness in the generations that follow in our footsteps, hopefully leading over time to a restoration of the intimate connection between mankind and the natural world that existed before the dawn of civilization?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Like most human beings I developed a pretty clear sense of object permanence around the age of 2.  And yet I still remain somewhat baffled- and thrilled- that as I write this there are brook trout swimming in some of my favorite alpine lakes.  That I get to experience it all is truly a miracle of sorts.  Considering the scope of possible human experiences/realities, it’s not lost on me that I’m very, very fortunate to be able to peacefully wander in the woods without a care.  And yet it’s bittersweet because I’m all too aware that it’s both a temporal experience as well as one that many people will never get to have.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools