Topic

climbing skins – rat tail?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism climbing skins – rat tail?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kentz Willis
    BPL Member

@kentz_willis

I need to get some skins for my new ski setup (rossignol bc 110s, voile hardwire, scarpa t4). I’m doing my best to keep the cost down so am looking at climbing skins direct. I have seen a few mentions online of fashioning a ‘rat tail’ (wildsnow.com) to secure the back of the skin. Any comments on this method? I want something that is functional and straightforward to use – I have never used skins before. I am attracted to the cost of the rat tail but don’t mind spending a few bucks if another method is less fussy. Thanks for your thoughts-

noitanmrep
    BPL Member

@permnation

I have found a notched tail on the ski to work best…very simple and functional.  I looked at the skis you have, and it appears there is no tail notch from the pics I saw.  With a dremel, one can easily create a notch on the tail of the ski.  This would be the style of skin attachment required for the tail notch: http://www.camp-usa.com/products/contour-skins/contour-tail-kits/

I messed around with some different skin attachments last season with some working and some not.  When skins fail on you, it makes for a very frustrating day in the bc.  If one is getting deep in the bc, a skin failure can become a big issue.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools