Topic

climashield quilt 7.5, 5.0, 3.6, 2.5

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear climashield quilt 7.5, 5.0, 3.6, 2.5

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

Hello everybody,

Looking for some opinions on my next climashield quilt.  The last one I made was almost three years ago, out of 5.0oz climashield with m90 nylon cover, and sinchup footback with flat buckles and velcro up to my thighs (seemed like a waste of weight because I barely used it), ended up weighting 25oz.  I have used it about 50% of the time in those three years, and lent it out multiple times. Sometimes I went down to 15 degrees with thermals, 2ozclimashield coat, bivy and liner and felt the chill but mainly due to my 6oz sleeping pad getup.  But now at 45degree nights I am starting to feel cold around the center of the bag, with all the use it gets I’m not surprised.

Now there seems to be 7.5 and 3.6oz climashield available, the options are seemingly endless.  The ideas I have are to make a closed footbox 7.5oz quilt for deep winter, my old quilt for everything else, or maybe a 2.5oz quilt to go inside my 5.0oz, or also make a new 3.6oz to go with the new 2.5oz, 2.5 in summer, 3.6 in fall/spring, both in winter.  Or the SUL in me kind of wants to make 2.5oz pants and boots to combine with a new 2.5oz quilt and my 2.5oz coat. This might also extend the life of both bags by going between the two.

I have not overheated in my 5.0oz quilt unless it were in a house, so it might be worth going heavier on the sleep system because I can only hike between october to march due to my seasonal job.  Any feedback is certainly appreciated.  and if you have advice on nylon of silk material for the shell, would love that too.  I used 5mm silk on my coat and it seems to breath well. how does m90 compare to m50?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve used M50 successfully.  It’s quite water resistant.  That’s what I’ll use in the future.  Totally down proof.

I used Nobul for the liner.  But it leaked a lot of down.  However, after a year it pretty much stopped leaking – I think maybe the feathers with stiff quill is what leaked and they’re gone now.  But for synthetic it would be great.  Or RBTR has a good fabric for liner.

I think down is better for colder temperatures.  Synthetic is too heavy and bulky.  I switched from 5 oz synthetic to down and have no desire to go back.  With the M50 shell it’s stayed dry.

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

I wish I could use down, but unfortunately I am allergic and get headaches anytime I am around it while I sleep. So my choices are wool or poly.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

ahhh…

then synthetic is pretty good, and the fact that it tolerates wetness better is a good thing

R
    Spectator

@autox

Either make a new 5oz quilt, or open up your current quilt and replace the insulation w/ new 5oz (cut out the old, leaving 1″ edges and loosely hand stitch the new stuff to it).  You can save an ounce or so by using two layers of 2.5oz and cutting one 6″ – 9″ back from the edges of the torso where it will wrap under you and compress.

Then make a set of 2.5oz vest, pants, booties and balaclava (if you don’t already have one).

This can give you full body layers of 2.5oz, 5oz or 7.5oz, with an additional 2oz (your jacket) over the torso, and you can walk around camp in the 2.5+2 configuration (all the clothing).

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

oh nice idea about the 2.5oz double layer,  would have to sew where they end but I like the weight savings on the portion insulation that gets compressed.  Although more expensive.

I am going to start over fabric wise because my quilt is dirty and on the verge of being to small for me. Plus I dislike dealing with velcro now that I’ve tried it.

Thanks for posting

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I’ve doubled up on the top half, that goes over my torso.  You don’t need as much insulation on your legs.  Although one could argue that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools