Topic

Climashield APEX Pullover Hoodie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Climashield APEX Pullover Hoodie

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

First post

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Image 2-17-17 at 10.11<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

I am getting close to finalizing the design of a Climashield APEX hoodie, based on my 2005 (!!) Skaha design. This is pretty exciting and will probably prompt a full pattern overhaul before I’m ready.

The olive colored sample on the pic is lying next to a Cumulus full zip APEX jacket.

Both are labeled size large, although the consensus is the Cumulus is fitting like a medium, while the Skaha is decidedly roomy in the classic layering tradition.

Weight wise the Cumulus is 334, the Skaha 306 grams.

The pictured sample was made with scraps of .74 Robic and Pertex Quantum. The thought is to offer this in 0.66 Membrane shell and liner, which should knock another 15 grams off.

The Climashield is quilted with widely spaced lines on the inside to prevent the clingy sag we got with the early prototypes.  Built without a pocket this pullover is fully reversible!

Compared to down the bulk is 25-30 % more. Against the Cumulus my jacket is also bulkier, although lighter. More weight in insulation – partly due to larger size/roomier fit.

Anybody have any input on what you might want to see in this design?

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Looks very interesting!

If it were me I would say keep it minimal but for the following functionality:

No pockets.

Tiny cinch cord at bottom.

UL hood adjustment (with hard wind is exactly when you like your hood to be secure).

Two way zipper. This way in cold wind you can vent but keep your neck protected by unzipping from the bottom part. Perhaps extend zipper a inch or two for a true half way zipper. I have this in Montura jacket and is super effective when active.

Very curious about future development.

Good luck / have fun with it.

Medic16
    Spectator

@medic16

Looks great so far. I would suggest making the back slightly longer to have coverage when squatting or kneeling.

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

I like it. I would like to see a vest version. No hood but tall collar that can zip all the way up.

+1 on the longer back. But I’ve got a 23″ torso. Everything needs a longer back.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Thanks guys! Keep it coming.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

what g/m weight is the insulation?

;)

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

2.5 oz/yd – 85 g/m

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Looks good.

My vote is for the pullover hoodie, with a long tail, 100 g/meter insulation and the option of a 1.5-7 oz shell fabric.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

“I would like to see a vest version.”

OR, just make the hoodie weir removable sleeves (using Velcro) I did it to a synthetic jacket in 1979 and it worked very well. (Well, back then I had to stitch it with a bone needle. ;o)

Robert Alexander
    BPL Member

@robmalexander

Locale: Atlanta

Looking forward to it! I’d like a Hooded Vest option but who knows maybe a hooded jacket, too. I’d also be into a warmer insulation option but I’m not sure what I’d spring for if I had to choose. Probably the 100g weight. My gut is telling me that with all the customization options that I have enjoyed at Nunatak to date I’ll be able to settle on something that works for my preferences. I did note on my trip a couple weeks ago that when gathering firewood through the thickets I was pleasantly serene about the 10 denier vest shell because I had my Orc Epic windshirt over it. However, some fairly lightweight option durable enough for my pre-teen son to wear (even 30 denier) without the additional protection is attractive.

matthew rangel
    BPL Member

@mrangel

UL Jackets have an unrelenting tendency for being too short and climb or ride up when in use. I’d suggest extending the length but not necessarily the insulation in the lowest part to save weight but still have coverage. Also, a gusset in the underarm to keep it from riding up when you raise the arms. The gusset would not need insulation allowing for more breathability there as well. Use plastic snaps instead of two-way zipper. Include an internal chest pouch (behind insulation) with vertical slit entry. This would work for a camera, phone, candy bar, etc, and keep these items warm next to chest.

Lastly, believe it or not, I wish my ultralight down jacket didn’t have insulation in the back along a 10″ wide vertical panel in the center. My back always gets sweaty from my backpack even though my temp is fine elsewhere. The pack insulates your back automatically really well making the insulation in the jacket redundant, causing my back to sweat. Anyone else concur with this???

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Thanks for all the feedback. Here’s what we’re thinking:

• Vest and half zip jacket
    • Collar, extra tall collar or hood
    • 6 sizes – with options for added back and sleeve length in all of them
    • 3 levels of insulation – 85, 120 and 170.
    • Shells from .7 to 1.9, including highly breathable, camo, Epic and wp/b
    • UL version in large under 250 grams w/o hood and pocket
    • About $250

From a rainy Presidents Day weekend trip to the Dirty Devil region:

DSC06473<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Image 2-20-17 at 22.32<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Really looking forward to it!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

In addition to camo, consider some earth tones- greys, browns

I can see these being popular with big game hunters in addition to backpackers

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

APEX hoodie and vest up on the site.

Happy to hear feedback. Pants are coming soon, together with Balaclava.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

very nice :)  the customization options of either garment is really handy

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Yeah it looks great. The quality of your work is top notch. I have an Arc Lite that is superbly crafted and I’ve toyed with the idea of selling it and going back to bags, but it’s just too nice.

Thanks for continuing to put out new products and listening to the community.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

years ago integral designs used to make a pair of insulated pants that had full side zips … and also a deep crotch zip

the idea was that one could put on the insulated pants at stops without taking off yr skis/snowshoes/boots/crampons … and put it over a harness and open it up for belaying

while this might be a specialized market and not for many folks on BPL … there may be enough interest from folks that do winter sports who want a pair of belay pants …

i dont think many manufacturers make them anymore … i had an old pair if MEC ones years ago that were great in winter

whether theres enough interest for such i dunno … perhaps check the backcountry ski forums (those yuppies have moolah)

;)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

long side zip pants would also appeal to backcountry hunters as well; while much of the time is spent on the move, there are also times when you’re sitting and glassing and it can get chilly!

yuppie hunters also tend to have a lot of moolah :)

three hood cold!

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Yes, I already have side zip down pants – wouldn’t be difficult to do a UL 2.5 oz APEX version.

The more I work with this stuff, the less I think about down. Hate to say it. Like fast food franchises long since realized: A predictable, uniform commodity without surprises is very appealing.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i offer a 120 g/m option for winter zip pants … 80 g/m is bout the same as fleece

also make sure one can use em with gloves on … which means at least a #5 zip … smaller zips also get clogged up with ice/snow easier

down makes very little sense for winter pants unless yr in dry environments or only use em in camp

if yr always taking em on and off, moisture can accumulate each time you pack/unpack em

;)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’d use my side zip alpine ski pants (Thinsulate insulated GTX). But it needs to be d@mn cold for them.

Otherwise I use my Duluth Trading fleece lined nylon cargo pants. Over polar weight long johns they are toasty to -10 F.

Robert Alexander
    BPL Member

@robmalexander

Locale: Atlanta

I am into the pants idea. Definitely 2.5oz weight.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools