Topic

Climashield APEX – actual loft thickness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Climashield APEX – actual loft thickness

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    tom c
    BPL Member

@teepee

I could not find this stated concisely anywhere, so I thought i would post.  For example Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilts spec inches of loft for down, but only Climashield oz per square-yard for the synthetic variant.  Using Loft-thickness from the various widths listed at RipStopByTheRoll, here’s a regression for other Climashield APEX actual loft heights:

A few notes:

• loft thickness scales with weight per sq yard (makes sense, but good to see 3-nines for the R^2).  So, a 2 oz/sqyd is ~exactly half as thick as a 4 oz/sqyd.
      • I didn’t bother adding a zero-intercept, but as expected the intercept is near zero (.01 == 1/100 of an inch)
    • to calculate:  actual_thickness = 0.2382 * weight_per_sqyd + 0.0187
      • 2 oz/sqyd –> 0.5″ thick
      • 4 oz/sqyd –> 1″ thick
      • 6 oz/sqyd –> ~1.5″ thick
      • 8 oz/sqyd –> 2″ thick
    • references:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools