Topic

Clark Range – Merced River, Yosemite NP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Clark Range – Merced River, Yosemite NP

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Vernal & Liberty Cap:

Illiloutte Creek:

Upper Merced Pass Lake:

Camp:

Lower Ottoway Lake:

Heading up (from the south) Red Peak Pass:

Red Peak Pass (looking south):

Looking east from RPP towards Minarets:

Pano looking up towards RPP from the north side:

Camp near Triple Peak Fork:

Triple Peak Fork:

Heading to Washburn:

Nice set of falls:

Washburn Lake:

Outlet of Merced Lake:

Camp near Echo Valley:

Half of a famous dome:

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

A few more:

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Nice shots Alex, looks like a great trip.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

That Jeffrey Pine forest below Washburn and before Merced Lake is fantastic.

I used to go to that area and then up in a Northerly direction in the early spring for many years. People aren’t around at all in the spring! Except your trip went over Red Peaks Pass, which is no piece of cake when covered in snow. I love this country! Triple divide country in and around  what you hiked is very fine indeed. So is the trail that you followed. People are down on it because it’s not 12,000 foot moonscapesf–altho Reds Peak is pretty high. Personally, I like mixed country–that is, granite with biology–trees, animals, flowers, moss. Not just rocks.

It looks like you caught great weather and had a great trip. Thanks for the photos.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thanks, fellas. This was a really fun trip. Although, we were hoping to extend it by one more night and go check out the headwaters of the Lyell Fork of the Merced, but my friend had obligations that required him back at home. I hope to check it out this year.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Alex: did you want to explore the headwaters from the Marie lake/donahue side…or from the “high route” trail that takes you to Rafferty creek and Vogelasang? The latter is very very nice and not well known…

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

The latter, but coming from Red Peak Pass heading north, then east across Triple Peak Fork of the Merced, up the canyon wall, and then heading north past Harriet Lake. Once we reach the Lyell Fork, step off the trail and follow it (loosely) upstream. Our return to the Valley would take us along the “high route” rim above Washburn Lake, dropping down at Lewis Creek, and onto Merced Lake.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Oops I meant Lewis Creek…

There’s a series of benches zig zagging to the left (west?) of the Lyell stream that gives easier access to the upper mountain than bushwhacking up the stream. The route is more obvious looking down from up top.

that’s a nice trip you have planned. The back side of Lyell high up is one of the best spots in the Sierra.

I’ve f0und  crossing the Lyell fork at the trail in early season to be dangerous. there’s a better crossing 1/4 mile up.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thanks, jscott. I appreciate the route advice. I haven’t decided on a starting point for this year’s trip to the area, but I’m leaning towards Tuolumne Meadows (assuming it’s open) for easy logistics.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Great photos. Looks like a fine trip.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thanks, Ben.

John Kays
    BPL Member

@johnkays

Locale: Southern California

A wonderful photo report!! Where did enter/start the hike?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thanks, John.

We started/ended in the Valley at Happy Isles TH. The “lollypop” loop started south to Illilouette Creek and Lower Merced Pass Lake. Then east over Red Peak Pass to the Triple Peak Fork of the Merced. From there we walked north past Washburn Lake. Now heading west past Merced Lake and stopping for the night at the far west end of Echo Valley. Our final morning we continued west along the Merced River, past Little Yosemite Valley, and back to Happy Isles (via JMT).

John Kays
    BPL Member

@johnkays

Locale: Southern California

Thank you Alex for the map as well. The photos are inviting and want to do something different and hike a little to the north this summer in late August or September. I would like to stretch out a bit too.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

For sure.

There are so many options, both on and off trail, in Yosemite. I’ve always wanted to do an “extended” trip and use Tuolumne Meadows (PO, bear boxes, grill, etc.) as a resupply between the northern and southern half of the park.

I have 6 day trip planned for this summer out of Virginia Lakes into the Hoover Wilderness and canyons of northern Yosemite.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Wow, looks like July. The Clark range is wonderful.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools