Topic

Clam Shell Style Travel Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Clam Shell Style Travel Pack

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    john mcalpine
    BPL Member

@cowpie

I’m retired now and looking forward to traveling and seeing the world.

I’ve been looking for, but haven’t found a 30-40 liter clam shell style backpack under 2lbs.

There are a ton of clam shell travel packs, but are typically greater than 3 lbs.

Anyone find one that I haven’t.  I reached out to Zimmerbuilt.  I don’t believe he’s interested.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Don’t know of any clam-shells (where the zipper divided the bag into 2 equal sections) than are less than 3lb.  If panel loading is ok, then around 2lb are travel packs from ula-equipment, the now discontinued osprey ozone 46l, and if a duffel is ok, there is a 2lb5oz tnf 42l basecamp voyager duffel. The Mountainsmith Wraith from the early 2000s was a very nice panel loader than weighted less than 2lb, but hasn’t been sold for year :(. There are countless travel packs which show up on kickstarter… you might be able to find some project there that is now successfully shipping that fits your spec. I used to maintain a list of travel packs but stopped a few years ago so the list is going stall.

Personally, I don’t pay as much attention to weight for urban travel because I am carrying my bag  shorter distance than in the back country. When I mix back country with travel I use my 40L Gossamer Gear Gorilla which is far from ideal for urban, but works in a pinch.I was sort of hoping the Hyperlite Mountain Gear SouthWest 2400 might become my do-everything bag, but it just didn’t work for me.

For urban travel I generally use a Tom Bihn Synik 30L which isn’t light but works well for me.  I have done a few trips with the packable version of the gossamer gear vagabond which worked surprisingly well when I could get away with a single laptop (normally need more computing devices for work trips) and didn’t have to bring a suit.

John Z
    BPL Member

@feather

The Tom Bihn Synik 30 backpack has a clamshell opening, along with lots of other pockets, and weighs 2 lb 14 oz to 3 lb 1 oz (depending on the fabric you choose).  Note that these weights include a removable 5.1 oz internal frame. It is spec’d at 30 liters (ASTM Standard Measure). Current cost is $300.  tombihn.com

The Red Oxx Sky Train Convertible Backpack is 38 liters, but is 4 pounds, at $295.  redoxx.com

Kona
    BPL Member

@kcsupertramp

Locale: San Diego

Mathew at elemental horizons used to make the Aduro which I believe is around a 42 liter pack and a clamshell design. Not sure if he still makes it or not but you could ask him.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

At 2.5 lbs it might not be what you are looking for, but I have been extremely happy with the Osprey Transporter 40.  Super comfortable when worn as a backpack and easy to pack/unpack.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Rick Steves classic travel backpack (2 lb 40 L): https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/classic-backpack

john mcalpine
    BPL Member

@cowpie

Thanks everyone for your fantastic suggestions.

It’s time for me to stow away my many UL packs and hit the paved cities.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

https://www.tortugabackpacks.com/collections/travel-backpacks

Check out Tortuga travel packs….max size carry on.

Minimal, relatively lightweight…..I have traveled to Spain and Portuga with their discontinued 27L-32L carry one pack for two weeks.

My 16 yr old daughter and myself carries everything we needed for the whole trip in that pack.

I love the clam shell design.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your travels.

Tony

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

That Tortuga pack looks really nice and well made…the hip belt is a real plus.  But all the external pockets and zippers would worry me a bit…

There is one design feature of the Osprey Transporter that is not obvious but I think very important.  When worn as a backpack, the main pack opening is on your back, and the external pocket is on the top making it very hard for someone to “pick your pack” in a crowded airport or street.  I have always felt very secure carrying the Transporter on my back in every situation I have found myself.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools