Topic

Choosing a Garmin Handheld

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Choosing a Garmin Handheld

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Where I go hiking and backpacking there is no cell service and I’m usually in thick forest with a canopy of trees. I’ve decided to get a satellite communicator and am going to choose between the Inreach Mini, Explorer+, and GPSMAP 66i. I also have an ACR ResQLink PLB which I will continue to bring with me.

If I have a real crisis, I will use the ACR PLB to initiate a rescue but want the Garmin to be able to communicate by text the nature of my emergency. Two years ago I almost stepped on a Timber Rattler and would want to be able notify people ahead of time of that or some other medical problem (broken leg).

My first thought was to get the 66i as it would be a step up from the eTrex 30 I currently have and the marginal cost would be $250 compared to the Mini. I’d have to keep a closer eye on the battery with the 66i as I would be using it for navigation as well as for potential satellite texting.

Any advice which of the three Garmin models to choose from?

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

The Garmin Explorer+ offers way too many benefits over the mini to not justify carrying the added weight. GPS, longer battery life, and quicker communication.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you are not going to use the smartphone as the messaging and map platform partnered with the InReach mini, you should get the InReach Explorer+for all the reasons named by Garrett. You can overcome most of the drawbacks of the clunky InReach keyboard by setting up pre-written messages. See best practices article by Adventure Alan. https://www.adventurealan.com/why-you-should-make-a-trip-plan/

I am not sure why redundancy in SOS capable devices helps you. Better to have one device and know how to use it IMO. In your worst case scenario, you will be conscious for several hours after the rattlesnake bites you. With the InReach device, you can give search and rescue exact details on your condition, the color of your pack, etc.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I’m looking to get a satellite communicator to aid in that rescue by communicating back and forth, if possible. In the worst case scenario of a medical problem, fall, and other issue, I may be conscious for only a short time and have only one shot at triggering a rescue. In that case, I’m reaching for the ACR ResQLink not the Garmin.

The redundancy costs me nothing in dollars, because I already have the ACR, and it weighs only 4.6oz.  If I get a Garmin for satellite communicating, I will know how to use it long before I set foot in the woods so that won’t be an issue.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

To take the scenario of falling to another likely end, I fall, hit my head, and am unconscious or confused.   That’s where the tracking ability of the Garmin wins.  There is a chance that someone (my wife most likely) will not get my text from the Garmin each day and will look on the web page.  She will find a cluster of dots and can call 911 with a location and reason to have them go looking for me.  So, the ACR cannot track and it cannot send an “I’m ok” message.  Garmin is also perfect for mountain biking alone for the same reason.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

I never knew the 66i existed – so, does it record data like the eTrex does?  I currently carry a eTrex 20 with custom maps. From what I’ve seen the Inreach did not record well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools