Topic

Cheapest Lightest Full Backpacking Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cheapest Lightest Full Backpacking Kit

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

This list was compiled on r/ultralight over on Reddit. With the end of My Trail Co it looks like there needs to be a new pack option. This looks like it overshoots the $500 mark by $41 but still a good place to start from and then make some concessions based on personal preference.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I agree Roger it is inaccurate to measure the rounded out volume of each compartment of a pack in isolation, to measure the volume of a pack you need to measure whatever volume you are measuring all at once.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Not sure where people are camping that a tarp counts as a shelter without a net. Maybe unexpected rain without a tarp is more catastrophic than getting eaten alive all night without sleeping?

Assuming one has TP, rag, lighters, toothbrush, ziplocs, insect repellant, sunscreen, etc.
    And can get disposable bottles and a disposable spoon for ~$0
    And already has some clothing (I didn’t buy any clothing specifically for hiking until I had done a few trips)

The following is my cheapest stuff, and assuming one could get a cheaper option for 1/2 the price on some items. Some of this stuff I prefer another item, but it’s all stuff I own for the prices listed.

Pack —  $99 — REI Flash 65 on sale
    Tent — $140 — Nemo Hornet at REI garage sale
    Blanket — $200 — Rumpl Down (Could get the $100 synthetic version, or a quilt or bag)
    Pad — $110 — Insulated long wide Nemo Tensor

Trowel — $20 — The Deuce. Worth it no matter how broke you are
    Headlamp — $70 — Something bright, high quality at REI. Assume something decent for $35
    Filter — Sawyer Mini — $25
    Pot — Goodwill score — $10 (don’t remember actual price, was probably cheaper. It isn’t ultralight but it’s small enough for backpacking)
    Stove — $50 — Snow Peak. (BRS stove is an ounce lighter, only $25, and recommended by Darwin)
    Fuel — $5

My total: $729
    With cheaper quilt, lamp, stove: $569

Buying a few mini containers for sunscreen and insect repellent is cheap and saves a few ounces.
    My cheap pack is kinda heavy but it can hold some bulky stuff like synthetic insulation and beer.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I kinda wanna try this just for the lightness and novelty. Could probably make half this stuff if your time is worth less than money. Costs more than a $10 goodwill pot and $25 BRS stove though.
    https://www.traildesigns.com/products/caldera-keg-gvp-stove-system

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Pack — $99 — REI Flash 65 on sale
    Tent — $140 — Nemo Hornet at REI garage sale
    Blanket — $200 — Rumpl Down (Could get the $100 synthetic version, or a quilt or bag)
    Pad — $110 — Insulated long wide Nemo Tensor

Rather a luxurious collection. I suspect someone on a limited budget could manage a whole LOT cheaper.

Trowel — $20 — The Deuce. Worth it no matter how broke you are
    Bent bit of #10 fencing wire: $0
    Broken stick: $0

Headlamp — $70 — Something bright, high quality at REI. Assume something decent for $35
    ebay and Banggood have lots of bright headlamps for <$10. A few down around $4. They work fine.
    But do you really need a headlamp for novice walks?

Filter — Sawyer Mini — $25
    We don’t carry a filter at all these days. Just watch where you source water. $0

Pot — Goodwill score — $10
    How much is a grease pot? Under $10 new at Walmart.
    But browsing an OpShop is always good.

Stove — $50 — Snow Peak.
    BRS-3000 from Amazon is ~$16, but make very sure you buy a genuine BRS model, NOT a copy.

Not criticising anyone, just pointing out the opportunities for savings for a novice.

Cheers

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I did mention BRS, and I even take a headlamp on long day hikes. Hiking in the dark I imagine would be no fun without a headlamp. And getting around after dark is well worth the money so I wouldn’t leave it out. But yeah I haven’t really priced the cheaper models and I’d never get disposable batteries no matter how cheap. Nor would I want to dig a hole with a stick, especially my first time! That earth can be hella rocky, and the urge tends to hit me pretty quick sometimes lol. But I mean sure humans have been surviving without poop trowels and portable electric lights for a long time.

“Rather a luxurious collection. I suspect someone on a limited budget could manage a whole LOT cheaper.”

Sure, but they don’t need to, to get close to $500 kit. Sure especially the quilt (the only one I got anywhere near full price) can be cheaper. The Rumpl isn’t the best bang for the buck if it’s gonna be cold. My first bag was a 4 lb, $60 monstrosity but it was warm!

I’d say the pack, tent, and pad were pretty great deals though (saved 50%, 62%, and 39% off full retail) – even my budget 5 lb tent (Zephyr 2) wasn’t that cheap. I didn’t really have a point, other than one can find deals and get nice stuff and still have a fairly cheap kit.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Coghlan’s Backpackers Trowel: Walmart: $4.70
    We used one for a decade or more. Plastic: don’t try to use them as a crowbar.
    (Amazon: $10.50! Use the web, Luke.)

I ONLY buy the Lithium (disposable) AA and AAA batteries these days.
    The Alkalines may have a lower sticker price, but they have very little life in comparison, especially in cold weather. Can be hazardous in fact.
    The rechargeable 1.5 V ones are a sad disappointment: they are expensive and they decay very quickly imho.

Seeing how cheap you can go can actually be fun. My 2c.

Cheers

Ox
    Spectator

@ox-2

Also interested in this topic, I used to treck a lot in the past but now I have to get a new kit and the sums I’m spending are about to become ridiculous. How will I feel in a poor country having on my back 10x their average monthly salary….

Ox
    Spectator

@ox-2

Second message in a row, sorry about that but is there a community dedicated to hobo backpacking? I have backpacked with only a few € in my pockets but it was when I was  just past teenage hood, I’m 36 with a comfortable income now although “light” should also be light on your wallet in my book unless you’re doing something extreme like a polar expedition .

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Every now and then we see some interest at BPL in ‘dirt bag walking’. ie, zero $ stuff.

Cheers

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Good topic, but you need to set parameters for maximum costs and weight of big 4 items. The OP says a 3 season setup, so 32* temp rating seems about right. I’m assuming everything will be purchased new. Of course used gear can be found, however, that’s too much of a variable.

If you want to get reasonably lightweight you can’t buy cheap Walmart junk (except for Dri-Ducks rainjackets}, $550 would be a good max price for a new lightweight gear kit

Weights on gear should be: * shelter (tent not tarp) under 2 lbs.  * pack under 2.5 lbs. *bag/quilt under 26 oz. * pad under 20 oz. * rainjacket under 10 oz.

Homemade cook cup fashioned from aluminum bean-dip containers (larger ones). Homemade alcohol stove.

The SMD Lunar Solo can be bought for 20% off on a regular basis at backcountrygear.com $160. Great lightweight tent. Next the Enlightened Equipment Revelation Apex 30 is $205 (Quality). Lightweight Klymit pads can easily be found online marked down 40% plus. Buy your pack at sierra,com. For example https://www.sierra.com/granite-gear-crown-vc60-backpack-internal-frame~p~358rh/?filterString=s~backpacks-for-men%2F#specsSection. $129

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

Here is a list of gear that will cost less than $150. i use this in my classes that i teach to Boy Scouts and leaders. I went out and bought all items. I could have used some of the things i already had at home but that would have defeated the purpose of being able to get a person in the back country for the most reasonable amount of money and at a minimal base weight. the class is called Comfort Backpacking.
    Hope you find it useful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Comfort.Backpacking/

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Terry is there a way to view the list without joining the FB group you linked?

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Don’t think anyone has mentioned this yet. Gossamer Gear has an extensive educational section talking about why/how to go UL. Kinda buried in it, is a list by Mark Henley entitled “Ultalight Ultra Cheap”. It’s a 10lb base weight list assembled for $200.

http://blog.gossamergear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Ultracheap_Henley.pdf

He takes some liberties w/ weights and costs that some may take exception to… ie, pick up a “stick at trailhead” as a walking stick has no weight (since carried) and no cost, comfortable hiking shoes is no cost (since everyone would already have comfortable shoes?), etc but the when he’s at 10lb and only $200, it goes to show that if you eschew the name brand and DCF options out there, you can def go UL pretty easily.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

It should always be remembered that the gear you do NOT take is lighter and cheaper than anything else.

Cheers

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

I will try to resend it in another form so you don’t have to go to facebook.

sorry for the late reply

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools