Topic

Cheap synthetic jacket needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cheap synthetic jacket needed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I am hiking about 40 miles of the Superior Hiking Trail in northern MN at the beginning of October. I am normally in very (very very) dry conditions so all my insulation is down. I am considering a synthetic jacket for this hike, as rain in October is likely and I have no synthetic mid weight layers.

I am tempted by the EE Torrid or Cumulus Climalite, but considering how little use they will see in my normal area, I would much prefer to spend $70 vs 200. Also I know everyone apparently loves apex 2.5, but that cannot be enough insulation for me. I am cold at rest and cant see 2.5 being adequate. A nunutak with Apex 4.0 would be my ideal piece, but I dont have the time or money for that golden goose.

So, in lieu of the EE or Cumulus, would this be a somewhat acceptable substitute? https://www.decathlon.com/products/forclaz-trek-100-mens-light-backpacking-padded-down-jacket-with-hoodie-312478?adept-product=forclaz-trek-100-mens-light-backpacking-padded-down-jacket-with-hoodie-312478&variant=32494245216318

Or can you recommend a <$100 synthetic jacket with >2.5osy insulation?

(I have an Alpha 90 hoody I will pair with the jacket in question too)

Bruce M
    Spectator

@va3pinner

Locale: In the shadow of the Shenandoah

Take a look at WebTogs. good selection. I bought a Montane Prism synthetic fill hooded jacket from them for fall use. Haven’t used it yet, so I can’t say anything about it.

https://www.webtogs.com/en-US/Montane-Prism-Jacket/161439wmp.htm?colour=Orion+Blue

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I personally prefer a fleece and a windshirt. Wider temperature use range and faster drying than most standard synthetic jackets. And perhaps you already own both…

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I have a Alpha 90 hoody and Dooy wind shirt. That is indeed warm with a peloton 97 base layer, but if the wind is blowing and it’s damp I think I would want more insulation.

Stephen’s testing shows the Proton FL at R1.0 and dual layer alpha 60 was R0.7. Should I just get a slightly looser alpha fleece and have 3 layers of alpha? Is that too many? Lol.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I wouldn’t hike in a synthetic jacket-too much moisture trapping. Like others said, fleece and windshirt. Jacket is for camp and non output scenarios.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve liked LLBean’s synthetic-insulated hooded jackets such as their “Katahdin Insulated Pullover” for around $100.  Decently light, I’ve gotten great durability out of them and they clean up fine in a home washer set to delicate.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

REI has its own Primaloft insulated jacket on sale for $50 right now. Can’t beat that. 11oz not the lightest but not too bad.

https://www.rei.com/product/192845/rei-co-op-flash-insulated-jacket-mens

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools