Topic

cheap plastic raincoat , best hooded variety?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion cheap plastic raincoat , best hooded variety?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David Witchey
    Spectator

@dwitchey

Im sick of mythical waterproof breathable gear that costs a fortune, but wets thru  eventually, or soaks up water and becomes heavier. Im not a fan of forking out 450.00 YES NOT A TYPO!!!!  450.00 USD  for a dyneema  raincoat.   In steady rain, what good cheap plastic  ones  have you found that KEEP U DRY!!!

Have got a Alaskan state rainwear helly hansen  impertec  , but too heavy for backpacking. please supply any links , Thanks!!!

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

I’ve been happy with Lightheart gear

https://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/shop-now/rain-gear

Sizing is a little funny (shorter arms, girthy torso) but not sure if the customization is worth the price.  The Royal blue is silnylon outside PU inside so easy to patch in the vent of rips on branches.  In driving rain mine leaks at the shoulder seams, but with a microfleece to buffer in cool weather it serves it purpose well.  One day I’ll stop being lazy and seal the seams…

The jacket isn’t perfect, but I’ve been quite content with it.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It’s not quite what you are asking for, but I like my silnylon rainshell from Luke’s Ultralight. 4.6 ounces with pit zips and adjustable cuffs for $90, iirc.

David Witchey
    Spectator

@dwitchey

excellent suggestions,   Thanks!!!  cheers Dave.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

I used to use the Frogg Toggs poncho.  Cheap and relatively light and worked.  I don’t encounter rain a lot but find a poncho works well. I currently use the zpacks groundsheet-poncho for my hexamid.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

Yep LHG -pit zips sil/PU, Espresso colour, elegant rainproof simplicity.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Reviving this thread. This thread has something I haven’t seen much of…Multiple people stating that they like non-breathable rain jackets. Can any of you expand on that? I’m tired of my WBP jacket wetting out and am making myself something with DCF but can’t decide if it will be a packa clone or a straight up jacket with huge pit zips.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Then maybe start with the Frogg Toggs poncho mentioned above. It’s light enough and cheap, so you can see if a poncho suits you before investing in something that uses expensive fabric and takes time to make.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks, but I’ve worn the frogg toggs poncho for the last year and while it doesn’t wet out, I don’t like having my pack under my rainwear. My pack is waterproof so I’d rather have it accessible without removing rain gear. I already have the DCF so I’m just looking for input before I start cutting.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Whatever design you choose, go with the huge pit vents. I’ve got a Silnylon rain jacket from Lightheart Gear and it works quite well with the big pit vents. When the vents are zipped up, it gets clammy real quick.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks, I plan to put in 18″ pit zips since it’s non-breathable.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

Hi there,  LHG sell 2 types of Jackets. The colour determines the material finish. One is straight sil/Nylon says some breathability, a wee bit lighter, the other which I have is the Sil/PU. Mine is absolutely NON breathable and a bit heavier 195gms in M and Espresso colour.I have wetted it out on the inside several times-BUT it has been very slight,  a sheen of very light condensation. I was dry against my skin wearing light woolen shirt under a Thermal Patagonia Hoodie. It is the R1 light I think of it as. Sweat wicked to outer surface and for 2 hours in consistent rain 5-6 C, I was bone dryon the skin. PS pit zips fully open the whole time-No water came in through them AT ALL.  I think this is the beauty of the LHG pitzips -large enough to vent some heat but not too big so you worry about water ingress.

PPS. The outer surface of the jacket NEVER wetted out, thus I stayed perfectly warm/comfortable on the inside. PPPS as there is no elastic around the bottom hem this is also a venting point. All the best.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools