Topic

Cheap compression hoodie as base layer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cheap compression hoodie as base layer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I’m looking for a lightweight base layer top with a hood, but I’m too cheap to buy new from Patagonia or Arcteryx and the like.  I found a Lycra compression hoodie on Amazon for $17:

Anyone have any experience with this item or similar items?  Lycra vs polyester for a base layer?  I figure I could maybe get a size up so I could breathe.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

If you want to be ‘able to breathe’, I’d recommend against form-fitting, skin tight tops. I mean, of course you can breathe, but they’ll feel very restricting, even sizing up two sizes. FWIW.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Lycra will almost certainly dry a lot slower than some other choices out there. But perhaps it doesn’t matter a lot if you don’t sweat so much. for the money you could try it out?

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Ito has a point…agonizing over a $17 purchase when we’re spending thousands of dollars on a three-week trip to the Canadian Rockies in a few weeks is sort of silly (airfare and rental car come in at about $2k).  I just ordered one, a size up (XL), I’ll report back…

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

It just arrived today.

I was hoping an XL would give a loose fit, but the people who buy these things really want compression.  The XL looks more like a medium, but because it really stretches a lot it fits me, but skin-tight (as noted above).  I was thinking to wear something underneath, not sure this is possible.  And the hood is pretty tight as well.

My advice…forget compression clothing unless you really want compression, buying extra large in the hopes of getting a loose fit didn’t work.  I suppose I could try XXL and XXXL, but I don’t plan to.  I’ll give this a try in the field, probably as a base layer, not as an intermediate layer.

On the positive side, when I look at myself in the mirror wearing this, to me I look like Conor McGregor.  Unfortunately no one else agrees…    ;-)

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Ok, my wife sees the XL on the bed and thinks it’s a medium for her.  She tries it on and it’s a bit tight, but it fits.  Now it’s hers.  Maybe as a base layer, maybe over something, maybe something to sleep in (she likes the Ninja hood to help with drafts under our two-person quilt).  We’ll be in the Canadian Rockies for three weeks in Aug and she’ll find out.

So I ordered an XXL. Looks sort of like a men’s L, still somewhat tight, but not overly so.  Hood fits better, too.  Suitable as base layer and should work ok over another base layer, maybe over fishnet if it’s cold.  Will figure it out in Aug.  Recall it’s 100% Lycra, which I have no experience with.

N.B.  they don’t advertise XXXL, which likely would fit me even better.

Finally, if you see Ninjas hiking in the Canadian Rockies in Aug, you’ll know it’s us!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

My experience with a Lycra hoodie is mixed.

We car-camped and hiked in the Canadian Rockies, no backpacking (permit problem).  I wore the hoodie hiking but mainly used it for sleeping, mainly for the hood (plus a buff on colder nights, in the low 40s).

It worked fine except that it picked up odors pretty quickly, after a few uses I couldn’t deal with it any more.  It might have been less of a problem while backpacking, where odors tend to be less of a problem.

Merino supposedly is much better about odors, but Merion hoodies cost way more.

Nick Grba
    BPL Member

@okmtbr

Locale: Flatlandia

Great deal on Rab’s non-hooded lightweight Merino top:

https://www.campsaver.com/rab-merino-160-long-sleeve-zip-tee-men-s.html?_iv_code=1CC-AT1-RAB0903-336220&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrCRz-zJ3QIVBI3ICh1f_w1_EAQYBCABEgLXrPD_BwE&_iv_mens-clothing-size=extra-large

I scored one of the hooded models for $70 last week. A piece like this may be expensive, but you’ll have it for years, and it’ll perform so much better than the cheap stuff you end up replacing periodically. Merino really is super comfortable in a very wide range of conditions and temps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools