Topic

Changing the names of birds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues Changing the names of birds

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

https://www.backpackthesierra.com/post/renaming-is-for-the-birds

American Ornithological Society proposes big changes!

Can the Douglas fir be far behind?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

They previously renamed the “oldsquaw duck” to the “long tailed duck”.  That makes sense to me.

If they rename all birds named after humans then it will avoid a controversy about who that human was.  Like, if there was a “Jefferson duck” should it be renamed because he owned slaves?

I like that any human that had slaves today wouldn’t have a bird named after them : )

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Things do get renamed. And as Jerry Points out, all of those places (and birds) had names before Europeans gave them names, so we’ve already changed the name at least once. Some places in Europe have had their names changed any number of times, either for political reasons or just plain ignorance.

Most of the main streets in Spain had their names changed by Franco, then, 70 years later, changed back again, or changed to honor someone who opposed Franco. One of my favorite place names is Benbury Hill in the UK. Ben means hill. So does bury. So the name is actually hill hill hill.

In my own town of Napa we have a ridge called Alta Heights. Alta, of course, is Spanish for heights…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools