Topic

Cell phone signal booster

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cell phone signal booster

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brad H
    BPL Member

@manofthehouse

I am considering cellphonesignalbooster.us as a way to get cell phone service in the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia, and, hopefully, in the Adirondacks as well. Has anyone tried this? Any better options?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve wondered the same thing

You can always use an Inreach Mini and get satellite reception, that works most anywhere.  Click “learn more” on the right and up : )

Brad H
    BPL Member

@manofthehouse

Thanks. I considered that. If I were a frequent visitor to remote western wilderness areas, the expense of InReach, including the subscription, would make sense. But I am in the eastern United States. Reception comes and goes from hollow to hollow in WV, but it’s not like you are 20 miles from the nearest cell tower.

Seems like just boosting the reception of regular service would work. I know there are boosters that you can plug into your vehicle, but I am looking for something light for the trail.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’m surprised no one has any information about this, it would be useful many places

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Verizon and AT&T coverage maps for Monongahela National Forest show no coverage at all in most of the forest. But a signal booster needs a signal to boost. They’re designed to help you make calls inside a building or a car, when you have a decent signal outside.

Sometimes you can pick up weak signals using a booster plus a directional antenna pointing at a cell tower with line-of-sight. A friend used that setup to get service to a remote cabin in southern Utah. Aiming the antenna took a lot of trial and error. Wouldn’t work down in a hollow.

I’ve never seen a signal booster intended for hiking or backpacking. Checking cellphonesignalbooster.us, your lightest option might be the $200 Drive Sleek 470135 at 0.55 pounds (maybe) that draws 18 watts, plus a battery pack that can supply 12 volts to a CLA port (aka cigarette lighter port). I’m guessing 1+ pounds and at least $250 total, plus a bunch of long cables and boxes and an antenna to carry.

Or, as Jerry suggested, you could get an inReach Mini for $350 and ~4 ounces, with a Freedom plan for $25 per year plus $15, $35, or $65 per month for the months you activate it. And it will work almost anywhere.

— Rex

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

The Boy Scout camp we’ve used for a few years has a cell phone signal booster in one room. Sometimes if you stand in the right spot in the room, you can get a signal.

Years ago, I had one that plugged in to the phone and used it at a cabin in WV. It would sometimes get me a signal, again in the right spot.

This is only anecdotal, but I would not rely on them in areas with poor coverage. As mentioned above, they can’t boost a signal that doesn’t exist. They don’t seem reliable enough to bother unless you can try one out in a specific location.

Brad H
    BPL Member

@manofthehouse

Yep, I am aware that the coverage maps are not promising. That said,

1. I can usually get a signal on Cabin Mountain in the Dolly Sods Wilderness. I suspect that one or more of the vacation homes on the west slope of Cabin Mountain have signal boosters. Or maybe Timberline resort. But move a hundred feet east of the Rocky Ridge trail on Cabin Mountain and the signal fades out.
    2. I spend as little time as possible in the “hollers”. I stay on top as much as possible, so if there is a signal to be had, I am more likely to get it on top.

I would not have posed the question if I had not already had instances where I did get a signal. About the half the places where I camp I can see at least a flashing red radio tower light in the distance. So, I am thinking, some sort of booster should be possible.

I have heard of a battery extender cradle for iPhones: mJoose Signal Booster Radiation Reduction Battery Case for iPhone 6/6S.

Has anyone tried this? I use a Nexus 5, so this is not an option for me, but is the right principle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools