Topic

Cat Can Stove Wick

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cat Can Stove Wick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

I love my Skurka-style cat-can stove.  The only thing I would change is to make it spill-resistant.  I store the stove in my kettle.  I’m wondering what wicking material would be safe to stuff in there.  Would fiberglass insulation shed particles into my kettle?

Thanks,

Pete

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I would not suggest fibreglass insulation, but you could try glass fabric as used for making fibreglass canoes etc. You would need to burn off the sizing first – at home.

Cheers

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

Minibulldesigns uses carbon felt for his spill-resistant stoves, and he sells extra bits and pieces in quart sized bags for $4 each.

I haven’t used one of his spill-resistant stoves but I do use a piece of carbon felt under a different one of his stoves as an insulator and also to help prime the stove in very cold weather.  I think it’s a good bet.

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Thanks for the tips, gents!

Cute story: this morning I googled “cat stove wick” and my own question came up as a result — I’d forgotten I’d posted it!  I wonder what else happened this weekend…

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Bought a bag of those carbon felt scraps.  Stuffed a couple layers into the bottom of the stove.  The felt easily absorbed an ounce of alcohol.  Tipped over the stove and not a drop came out.  Lit it, boiled a pint of water — no issues.  Success!  Thanks!

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Good stuff!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools