Topic

Cap 4 hoody alternative/ looking for a better fit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cap 4 hoody alternative/ looking for a better fit

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Moore
    BPL Member

@coldfeet

The Pat. thermal weight hoody in Large dosen”t fit me well..it has too much room in the boiler. I need something of similar weight in the Power dry/grid, zip neck, hood, with long arms. Any suggestions? Thank you!

-Jordan

David Caudwell
    BPL Member

@dcinbc

Locale: Gulf Islands, Coastal BC

Jordan, I empathise! I was also disappointed by the square and awkward fit of the Thermal Weight Hoody – very baggy around the middle, skin tight around the chest and shoulders (which is what I wanted all over!), arms an inch too short to be comfortable with the thumb loops on. But then I find that same cut on most Patagonia pieces. Other brands fit me fine and, it has to be said, Patagonia pieces suit a lot of outdoor folks, so it’s just a personal frustration because I want to love their stuff…

Anyhow, you might want to try the MEC T3 Hoody from Canada, or the Haglofs L.I.M. Mid Hood from Sweden (and available from various UK and European online retailers for international shipping). Both of these have a more fitted, athletic fit and are similar in fabric, weight and overall intent.

Jordan Moore
    BPL Member

@coldfeet

David, thanks for the reply! I ordered the Haglofs. It looks like they discontinued it.  I am hoping for a good fit, these Neanderthalus arms need some extra length. I think there is a joke somewhere in Pataguc’s fit, something about short arms and deep pockets?(of course, with absolutely no offense intended for any one whose arm’s are well suited for a Patagonia fit)

-Jordan

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

I’m looking for the opposite. I’m 5’5″, 175lbs, stocky build (lots of lifting in the gym), and need plenty of room in the shoulders/chest, but short arms and short torso. Any thoughts?

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

I have learned in the last couple of years that as long as a product is not too small, I have found a very talented seamstress who can alter my outdoor clothing at very reasonable costs….something to consider.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

That’s not a bad idea, although it could get expensive. I could realistically use a large but hem the arms and torso down to the length of a small.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

No one mentioned the Outdoor Research Transition Hoody.  This piece is Polartec Power Grid.  I’m an ex-competitive swimmer still luckily maintaining my athletic build.  The OR Hoody is definitely athletic built.

I’m 5’9″ at 158 and the medium fits great.  What makes the OR Transition stand out is the full zipper.  I couldn’t count the amount of times I have it fully unzipped to speed up cooling.  My medium is 9 ounces.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I just bought a Polartec Alpha top from Macpac, it may be what you need but at a weight penalty. I am impressed with the comfort against my skin. A bit warmer than you may want tho.

https://www.macpac.com.au/mens/jackets-vests/fleece-jackets/pisa-polartec-hooded-jacket—mens/115339-PHT00-XS.html

Also postage to the USA from New Zealand is reasonable and the exchange rate is in your favour at the moment

AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

Locale: East Bay

I have a Zpacks Fleece hoodie with long arms and thumb holes.  I love that thing.  It looks like they don’t make it anymore.  Why is that always the case with gear one loves?

– ATG

Jordan Moore
    BPL Member

@coldfeet

I had a Christmas miracle…for the first time ever, I put on a top with sleeves that were too long! Thanks to David, I ordered myself the MEC T3, this thing is super long. Like long, long.  I am sending out for a size smaller and I am pretty excited.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools