Topic

can you sort search results by date?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support can you sort search results by date?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderoos

There is so much fantastic information within the message boards and articles over the years that I’ve been spending more and more time using the search function to drill down more rapidly to topics of interest. Unfortunately, the list that is returned often has 10+ year old reviews of seemingly excellent products that are no longer manufactured.  Any chance you could build a “sort by date of publication” feature or at least list the date of publication of the article/post in the search results.  Thanks and keep up the great work.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Francis, I don’t believe you can sort or filter by date but I do agree that would be helpful. I have passed the request on to the dev team.

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderoos

thanks Matthew.

John D
    BPL Member

@polynya

I am not sure I have ever come across a website where one cannot sort the results. Please implement asap!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

There is a sort-of way to do this, but the results are not returned in chronological order and are based on any post within a thread, so if someone resurrects an old thread that could show up in search results regardless of how old the initial thread is.

If I’m searching for Tarptent and I want to limit my search to threads after 2018, in the search bar I’d type (without the quote marks) “tarptent after:2018”

This should eliminate most threads before that (though, again, any old thread that has a post in it that’s within the range you’re searching for will still be included).

Thomas G
    BPL Member

@tomgattiker

I agree, the ability to sort or filter by date would be great.  I am also finding reviews of products that, as far as I can tell, are no longer sold.  I wonder if BPL could archive or delete these

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Yes, please do figure this function out. Also, why is an article on the West Highland Way written in 2009 labeled as May 2020 in the search?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools