Topic

Can ticks bite through noseeum mesh?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can ticks bite through noseeum mesh?

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

@JCH

Some URLs (without paywalls) about IS would be appreciated.

Cheers

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Rex – You go your way, and I’ll go mine :)

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A question for those of you who have gone the Insect Shield route and sent clothing to them for permethrin treatment – I see a note on their website that the treatment may or will cause shrinkage of the clothing.  Possibly as much as one size.

Have users seen this happen? And if yes, did every piece of treated clothing shrink or was it particular to some textile materials and not to others? Curious about this before I decide to send anything to IS for treatment.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I’m curious.  For those of you in tick areas…..how do you garden?

I’ve never seen a tick in my neighborhood in Seattle.

Federico Calboli
    BPL Member

@fedster9

The IS treatment is very different than spraying a solution of permethrin diluted in water onto your clothes and allowing it dry. Not only is there great risk of polluting your local environment during such application, permethrin applied to clothing in this manner will wash almost completely out in 3-4 washings. It also leaches out when you sweat, or when you get rained on, or when you swim in your clothes.

The fact that we need to look after our gear is a feature not a bug.  Having to re-apply permethrin every so often is way better than the risks associated with tick bites, which are many more than simply Lyme disease.  I would also like to see evidence of the risks I would cause spraying permethrin on my gear (the whole lot — I do not plan to bring ticks in the house in/on my backpack) to the environment.

The fact I can spray every damn thing I have is in fact the kicker.  There is no point having *one pair of trousers* that has IS, and the rest of my gear can harbor ticks, which I can then carry around and bring home.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools