Topic

Can I dye netting? And how?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can I dye netting? And how?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I like the Nemo Hornet 1 person tent. But I have not bought it because they have white netting. I want black netting because I can see the stars at night better. So question: Can I dye the white netting black? And how do I do that? And what dye do you recommend? And will the dye be permanent or will in wipe off on my hands or transfer somehow?

Thanks for your help on this…

DWR

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Of the two RIT offerings available, Rit DyeMore is advertised to be more lasting.  Plan to use it on a tent project, but have not reached that point yet.  When I get to it, will post the results.  Be sure to follow the directions in fine print on the back of the bottle, or go on line for larger print.  Specifically, I plan to use some Peacock Green on white nylon netting from Extrem Textil. as I’ve found white can be just as bad as dark colors in limiting visibility to the outside from inside the tent.  Will be sure to use samples first before doing the netting for the inner tent.  Also may try the same dye on Porcher Paraglider #32 sun yellow fabric.  Will do rinsing by hand and hang dry.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I had the Nemo Hornet 1P tent. No issues at night seeing the skies even with the white netting, which fyi is only on the side, the top is black. During the daytime the white is slightly obstructed.. and at night when shining my head lamp through it.. but as I recall, laying in it I had clear views overhead…

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

My favorite bug netting is black because looking through it looks much better than anything else. I reason that it’s because black absorbs more light, so less reflections. That yellow Hilliberg mesh- yuch.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools