Topic

Can anyone recommend balanced, great-tasting energy bars?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Can anyone recommend balanced, great-tasting energy bars?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Can anyone recommend an energy bar that’s nutritionally well-balanced with proteins, carbs and fats and with little added sugar; made with quality ingredients (preferably organic); and tastes great? I try to eat real food as much as possible, but it would be nice to have a good energy bar option.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

nutritionally well-balanced with proteins, carbs and fats and with little added sugar; made with quality ingredients
    Probably not a commercially viable product. (from sad experience)

Cheers

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

LoL, gave me a good chuckle, but so true. The highest profit margin processed foods include lots of sugar, low/no protein, low flavor ingredients and low quality ingredients. For example, it’s much cheaper to add sugar than good cocoa to a chocolate product.

I go with my own nut + dried fruits mix most of the time, but it would be nice to also have a bar option sometimes. There’s one large commercial bar brand that begins with a C and ends with an F that literally makes me feel sick.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Every flavor of Umchu bar I have tried was tasty. They have a variety pack so you can test different products. The peanut-dark chocolate is 280 kcal per 1.5 oz bar. That’s pretty calorie dense. They are very expensive though.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My current favorite is Costco’s Paleo Bars (Universal Bakery).  Don’t know if they qualify as “energy” bars, but  I like them because they’re quite calorie dense (230 kcal/bar for 1.5-oz bars, or 153 kcal/oz) and are about the easiest eating bars I’ve ever found.  They’re not heavy and pasty like so many bars that can be difficult to eat–slow to chew, hard to swallow, etc–when you’re tired and sweaty.  Tasty, too.

They’re made primarily from nuts and seeds, sweetened with honey.  Grain-free.  Six grams protein, 14 grams carbs, 19 grams fat.  Is that balanced?  Healthy?  Close enough for me.

R L
    BPL Member

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

Make your own ?  This is an informative episode.   Good Eats.  S9/Ep05.  Power Trip.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thank you, the Umchu (fantastic brand name!) and Costco Paleo bars looks a lot more appealing than anything I’ve seen lately. The Umchu bars look CRAZY good. By quality ingredients I mostly meant natural foods rather than highly processed stuff.

Also appreciate RL’s suggestion – we already make a lot of foods at home, including growing vegetables and sprouts, pickles, our own low-sugar oatmeal-based cakes and our own very low sugar low fat gelato, ice cream and sorbet that are 10x better than anything for sale, so why not give power bars a shot – looking forward to checking it out.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I’ve had quite a few of the Umchu bars that are shredded coconut with cocoa nibs. Even though I generally don’t like coconut that much, those are quite good, provide a toothsome chewing experience (like you’re eating substantial food), and are fairly calorie dense. I have also sampled their PB&J bar, and that was super yummy. But for a pure calorie bomb, I recently ordered some of the peanut and dark chocolate bars. Hard to imagine that’s a bad combination.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

A chocolate we can buy here in Oz consists of (fairly good) dark chocolate with lots of rum-soaked fruit & nut in it. Usually sultanas I think.

Dried fruit and nuts in Oz bushwalking is known as ‘scroggin’. Etymology unknown. Does not contain chocolate: that is separate. (It can melt in Oz summers.)

Cheers

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

A few to consider:

Kind bars

Rx bars

Pro bars

Patter bar (might be limited to Colorado?)

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Hornby Bars

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!