Topic

Can anyone recommend a source of weather resistant clear window plastic

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Can anyone recommend a source of weather resistant clear window plastic

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andy Stow
    BPL Member

@andys

Locale: Midwest USA

This is less backpacking and more bikepacking related. I’m sure you guys aren’t putting plastic windows on your MYOG tents like the ones on the canvas family tent we used when I was a kid, but I know there are some good materials guys on this forum. I have a front bag on my bicycle that I use pretty much daily. It’s an older version of this one. After maybe four years and 1000 hours of use (not all in daylight) the clear plastic over the map area is cracked in multiple places.

It looks tedious, but I don’t mind doing the work of replacing it as long as I don’t have to do it again in a few years. I’ve had reports from other cyclists of similar map pockets from other brands still being fine after 20 years of use, but of course the makers don’t say what material they’re using.

Suggestions? Some kind of polyurethane? It does need to take low temperatures without becoming brittle, as I ride year round, down to -22 °F (-30 C) so far.

Thanks!

Andy Stow
    BPL Member

@andys

Maybe marine PVC? I only need like a square foot.

https://www.strataglass.com/advantages

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

If you only need a small piece how about cannibalizing a map case?

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

How about come up with a design where the case is simple to make and easily removable, then just make another one when it wears out.

I’ve seen kayak map cases made out of clear vinyl that seem to last along time.

Andy Stow
    BPL Member

@andys

I’d thought about that. I could maybe just cut the existing fabric off hidden under the edging, then sew on some velcro.

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

Maybe this https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/makersmill/clear-vinyl-fabric/ ? I don’t know how to work with this but was considering trying to use it for pocket material.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is a list of various plastics and their UV resistant properties.
    https://omnexus.specialchem.com/polymer-properties/properties/uv-light-resistance

Would choose one which is rated excellent, or at the very least good, and try to find a clear film version of same.

From a casual glance, it looks like polyimide probably has the best UV resistance.  We know polyimide as the yellowish Kapton films, however, there are some clear versions available.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools