Topic

Campsites ideas, Hughes gap to 19,

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Campsites ideas, Hughes gap to 19,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dale K
    Spectator

@dalekorm

• Need ideas on campsites. Going for 3 days from Hughes gap to 19 mountain Harbour B&B. First time to area, help in planning would be appreciated.
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Ton’s of options in that area. There are 4 shelters, Roan High Knob, Stan Murray, Overmountain (currently closed), and Apple House.   Roan High Knob and Overmountain have decent camping around.  Roan High Knob is a spruce-fur forest (it’s also the highest shelter on the AT) and Overmountain is the largest shelter on the AT (old tobacco barn) and has a nice view.  I recently heard that Overmountain was closed due to the condition of the barn, but it’s still a classic AT spot and is worth going by to snap a picture or two.  There was an old fire tower on Roan High Knob, and the shelter may be the old fire wardens, cabin – at least it has that look.   Stan Murray is a simple lean-too, and not that nice, but it has a picnic table and is a nice spot for lunch.  Apple House is always trashy and a dump – it’s so close to 19E, I’m not sure why you would stay there anyways.

I’m not a shelter person, so I’d be looking at camping.  There’s pretty good camping in the Jane Bald/Grassy Bald area past Carvers Gap if the weathers nice.  It can be pretty exposed in poor weather. There is also excellent camping at Bradly Gap and Doll Flats.  I’ve had a great sunset at Grassy Bald, and several good nights at Bradly Gap.  I’ve never camped at Doll Flats, as it’s too close to 19E but it looks like a fantastic spot.

I haven’t heard much lately, but the parking on 19E used to be sketchy and they’d have break-ins.  You can park at Mountain Harbor B&B (which is 1/4 west on 19E) for a couple of bucks a day and they will shuttle you.

That’s a great section of the AT, certainly one of my favorites, so you won’t be disappointed.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Expert advice from Brad. If the weather is mild, camping the balds will be beautiful. Agree, this is right up there with the best of southern Appalachia.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I’d recommend two short side trails. Take the walk out to Roan High Bluff for the views across the Toe River valley and over to the Black Mts.

Maybe the best side trail runs east from the AT is just north. of Yellow Mt. Gap and the Overmountain shelter (which is closed and hopefully will be getting completely rebuilt) out along the ridge of Big Yellow Mt. Very scenic and great views at the end of that ridge. You could probably leave your pack hanging for each of those since they’re out and back. About 1.25 for the first and 1.5 for the second and both pretty close to dead flat.

You’re going around 18 miles for the 3 days so as Brad noted Grassy Bald is about a third of the way and the area around Bradley Gap/Big Hump is @ the 2/3rd mark. Great spots out in the open but there are also all sorts of side trails/use trails in those areas and you should be able to find a sheltered site nearby if you need one.

Agree with Brad I wouldn’t see the desirability or need to camp past Big Hump. And you’re also just over the ridgeline from settled areas, homes, roads etc on that last stretch.

From Big Hump you’ll see the beautiful Condo up on Sugar Mt.That thing resulted in passage of a “ridgeline-viewshed law in NC so sometimes things work out. And speaking of view-sheds the view north from Big Hump was also saved by prevention of a big open pit mine on Belview Mt. A story that’s told in this book Stand up that Mountain

Good work still being carried on by https://appalachian.org/

The Overmountain Shelter is named for the major historic route that traversed the Appalachian Mts. by Yellow Mountain Gap just NW of the shelter. This was the route taken by Revolutionary War volunteers (hence “Volunteers” for you boys in Tennessee) who gathered to oppose Ferguson’s British forces who promised to “lay waste to their homes with fire and sword, Hang their leaders, and despoil their wives and daughters or something to that effect. You can read about that here: Overmountain Men

It may also have been the route followed by DeSoto in 1540 when he crossed the same range from this major Native American site: Joara

Anyway this is a really great stretch of trail with lots of sweeping scenery. You should have a great trip.

Don’t forget to water up when you find it near a campsite. It’s been dry and your entire route is along the ridgeline.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools