Topic

CalTopo slope angle data vs topo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion CalTopo slope angle data vs topo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

What data is the slope angle layer built from and is it different from the topo data? I used to think slope angle was just a visualization of the information contained in a topo map, but now I’m wondering if in fact slope angle contains higher resolution terrain information from a different source, which would make it another useful, and perhaps better, tool for planning off trail travel routes…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s a good point. It does look like higher resolution data and it occurs to me that the shaded relief layers also look like they have a lot more information than 40′ contours represent.

Perhaps this indicates that the data set itself is finer (at least in places) than what we are used to seeing. Β In some areas, it would be wonderful to be able to see contours in smaller increments.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I had this same question awhile back and support indicated it was based on lidar data. They directed me to this article –

https://blog.caltopo.com/2019/12/20/high-resolution-elevation-data/

There is also this – https://blog.caltopo.com/2022/05/27/latest-high-resolution-elevation-data-updates/

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Very interesting. Thanks for those links.

lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

Interesting, thanks for sharing those links. So my takeaway is the answer re the new high rez lidar map is yes they contain new information better than a topo map, and maybe re the older slope angle maps (assuming those are also based on LIDAR, just lower rez). Pretty soon we’ll have so much good data available we won’t even need to step outside :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Either that or we can hike with AR glasses telling us what the ground in front of us is like.

πŸ˜‰

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Either that or we can hike with AR glasses telling us what the ground in front of us is like.
    Sounds like a good idea – until a bear turns up, or a tree falls on the track?

Cheers
    PS: reply in same theme as MK

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools