Topic

CalTopo + PDF Maps Alternative

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CalTopo + PDF Maps Alternative

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Locale: CA Central Valley

Hi All,

Quick question, I know in the past the goto for a lot of individual was to plan a trip/route on Caltopo then export that to PDF Maps to use on your trip where you could locate yourself on that route/map. However since PDF maps has changed and is now a re-occurring fee is there an alternative?

I am looking for an app that I can load a route/map from Caltopo to use when not in cell range on my iPhone, potentially I would also like to use that same app to track my progress, tie, elevation, etc so I can export via gpx to Strava or others however if I were to prioritize I would prefer the first functionality.

Is there an app out there that you all use for this purpose? I don’t mind paying (reasonably) for an app but due to often I use don’t see the benefit for me to have a re-occurring fee like above. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Edit: I just realized that PDF Maps and Avenza are the same. But I have never paid anything to Avenza to use the app. I might be missing something.

Caltopo will make 8×10 PDF maps without a fee.

Avenza maps will read the PDF’s, which you can import by scanning the QR code in the bottom right of the map. It will also record GPS tracks, drop pins, make measurements, open the area in Google Maps, and plot the photos on your phone.

FWIW I generally use a printed map (8×10’s are fine for me) and compass. I carry an eTRex 10 Garmin to record my route. I’ve got the map in Avenza in case I’m ever really lost (which has never happened), or if I’m double checking my navigation skills (more often than I’d like to admit).

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I’m a fan of Gaia GPS. Available for iOS and Android. There was a thread on here, probably a couple years ago, where a Gaia rep was offering free full versions. Not sure how that is affected by the new membership pricing they have now. Might want to dig it up and see if they’ll still hook you up :)

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

@richardm Yes, I too use paper maps and compass for the majority of my trips printed from CalTopo however as a backup or honing my skills as you mentioned would like a more precise measurement which is the intent of the integration between CalTopo and Avenze (PDF Maps).

I was under the impression that you had to pay for each map import into Avenza now, is that not the case? Or pay a re-occurring fee to download maps/locations from them. Can I just create a route/map and load into Avenza fro free and use like previously with PDF Maps?

Edit:  @fox212, I’ve read a bit in regards to Gaia but never was certain it provided the functionality of creating a route/map on caltopo and importing on Gaia, can that happen? If so don’t you need their re-occurring membership for that to happen?

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Yes you can definitely import routes drawn on Caltopo to Gaia GPS.

When I got the app, it was a standalone purchase with no monthly membership (there was the pro option though). Looks like that is still available as “Gaia GPS Classic” and is a single $19.99 purchase. Here’s some more info on the old vs new systems:

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007658388-FAQ-New-iOS-App-vs-Old-iOS-App

$10/year seems like a pretty good deal for what you get, but if you are exclusively downloading maps/routes from elsewhere, maybe not worth it.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m a GaiaGPS user who likes to plan in Caltopo as well. I think Gaia is totally worth  the cost. Their web based planning tools are not as usable for me as Caltopo some I’m still using the hybrid approach.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

@zvolen I just tested it out. No charge for importing CalTopo maps. The QR feature worked great (I hadn’t tried it before). As far as I can tell you only pay for the maps you buy from them, not the app. I first downloaded it a long time ago so it may be that I’ve been grandfathered in. I’d be curious to know what happens if you try it.

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

@richardm You are correct I was able to easily load a map via the QR code. Although the detail wasn’t what I was expecting maybe with some adjusting I could fix that but more than anything I didn’t like their view or lack thereof when recording a gps track. It looks like you can only have 3 maps active on your account before you need to purchase but can load, delete and re-load which is nice.

@fox212
    @matthewkphx Thank you for the Gaia feedback, I did download the new app (7 day free trial) and all of the option including importing tracks, downloading maps, and record tracks are all there. However without using it in ‘action’ its difficult to determine if it would be worth it for me considering I would download all my own pre-made/cal-topo maps or routes.

I will use the rest of the free trial to try and make my determination if not maybe I will resort to 2 different apps it would have been nice to consolidate however. As always thank you all for the replies.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Sean, Gaia doesn’t import maps from Caltopo. It imports tracks/routes/waypoints perfectly. You download the maps of your choosing from Gaia before you go into the wilderness and put your phone in Airplane mode.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

True, the resolution doesn’t look so great. I was disappointed too. However, it accurately verifies my position on the paper map and I put it away.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools