Topic

Caltopo Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Caltopo Help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Caltopo is the greatest website ever, but every now and then I want to do something that I can’t figure out how to do.

Can you reverse a route you created if you decide you want to do a trip the opposite direction?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Caltopo is pretty much the greatest thing since cheese whiz.

I have not found a way to reverse routes. I just look at the route backwards but I’d be curious to know of a way to flip them if someone comes up with it.

Have you noticed the right-click > view from here option? I’m not sure it is actually useful but I think it is a very cool function.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Can you reverse a route you created if you decide you want to do a trip the opposite direction?

@mocs123
    : Right click the track -> Modify -> Reverse Point Order

Have you noticed the right-click > view from here option? I’m not sure it is actually useful but I think it is a very cool function.

@matthewkphx
    , I used, after getting home,  it to identify the peaks in this picture. I guess it could be useful if you were on the spot and had internet:

Rag Heap Mountain Vista

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thank you! I knew there was probably a way to do it but I couldn’t find it. It is a much more powerful tool than I can figure out how to use.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

One other question, can I copy a map (to use as a base map) while I experiment with a route?

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Hmmm… I haven’t seen a way to duplicate a map, it would be convenient. What I’ve done is export the map (Top Menu -> Export -> Download CalTopo Backup) and make a new map by importing the downloaded file.

edit: import not export. duh!

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

This is a really neat tool to use.  Often times i’ve stood on a pass and only been able to confidently identify a few peaks.  This definitely fills in the blanks well.  Here’s one I did yesterday, view NE from Red Peak Pass in Yosemite.  

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I just discovered the view from here feature a few weeks ago too.  Much easier to use than Peak Finder.  Caltopo is just amazing in it’s features, worth the $20 per year for sure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools