Topic

Calorie Dense Meals / Bars

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Calorie Dense Meals / Bars

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Perry H
    BPL Member

@hphock

Locale: Midwest

I need calorie dense meals and bars (I know nuts and similar are calorie dense but that wont sustain me through this endeavor).   I am running Grand2Grand and we need a ‘Minimum’ amount of calories per day.  I’ve found some great things so far but seeking meals that have a minimum of 4 calories per gram, but preferably 4.5 or more as this will reduce the weight of the food I need to carry.

Perry H
    BPL Member

@hphock

Locale: Midwest

I’ll Start:

Cranberry Almond Greenbelly Mealbar (Ive used these and they work great for these runs): 650 cals, 155 g = 4.19 cal/gram

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Greenbelly meal bars are pretty good. Well the dark chocolate banana one I happen to like. Not the BEST ever, but doable with water and easy to pack and carry

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Gear Skeptic on Youtube has some some spreadsheets with a huge range of bars listed by caloric properties.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yes. ^That.

Note the significant differences between flavors from the same brand.

seeking meals that have a minimum of 4 calories per gram, but preferably 4.5 or more as this will reduce the weight of the food I need to carry.

Carbs and Proteins are always 4 cal/gram. Fat is always 9 cal/gram. You want a bar with some fat in it. Nut butter (or nuts) is a great place to get this fat.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Have you experimented with liquid calories?

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

GearSkeptic has created a YouTube videos and a spreadsheet that can be downloaded here. In there you will find nutritional information about all sorts of foods including bars and candies. The two screenshots below give you an impression of the wealth of information in that spreadsheet. There are plenty of good choices for you.

Good Luck with the Grand2Grand

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Somehow the second screenshot didn’t make it into my post. So here it is

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Trying again

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools