Topic

California Coast SUL Gearlist

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion California Coast SUL Gearlist

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    John Brewer
    BPL Member

@jbrewer

Locale: California Coast

Here is my pack for a typical outing along the California central coast. The temps usually are pretty consistent at 70/40 with very little rain. Please feel free to make any suggestions as I welcome them, I’ve learned a ton over the past few years and have done a lot of research to get my entire base weight down to what my original pack weighed empty by itself. I do want to continue to learn from you all. Thank you.

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=27982

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

This looks like a pretty good list John. 6.5lbs is pretty good for the functionality you have there, and the durability.

There are a few little, easy ways to cut weight. Bigger (costly) ones involve getting a lighter, waterproof pack (thus sans pack cover, prob sans pack liner), going to say a poncho or cape set up, etc. I realise you are probably hiking in pretty wet conditions, but the only thing in your pack that is really at risk from the minor dampness that might come inside from leaving out one of your current waterproofing options (pack cover, plus pack, plus pack liner) is your Quilt-and that could go by itself in its own dedicated stuff sack.

One thing that strikes me as strange, is having matches as a back up for a mini bic. Mini bics are awesome and so much easier to use to get a fire going…if it weighs the same…I’d carry two mini bics :-)

Its nice to see someone else use a nice mix of tent stakes. I find it funny that people stick to just one type most of the time. Spatial variation of soil/regolith is usually great enough over the space of a tent/tarp, just about anywhere on the planet that you are better off with more than one type in your arsenal… :-)

John Brewer
    BPL Member

@jbrewer

Thanks for taking the time to look at and provide suggestions for my pack, I do appreciate it. I was looking at a few different pack options. The zpacks zero and zimmerbuilt quickstep are ones I’ve narrowed it down to, if there’s any others I may have missed please do let me know. I actually don’t get much rain where I’m at, and my base is usually around 5.7 lbs without rain gear, I just figured I would include it in mine as a more realistic list for most people. I prefer the bic mini as well in all applications except lighting the esbit I prefer the matches. The Deschutes is my first tarp and I’m comfortable with it, so I will definitely explore lighter options in the future including cuben.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

John, See if you can “renew” your pack list. When I click on the highlighted ling the page cones up “Cannot Be Found”.

John Brewer
    BPL Member

@jbrewer

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=26409  Ground

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=26770  Hammock

Here you go Eric, here are the updated lists. I actually don’t bring rain gear most of the time, I live in California…no rain, so my base is usually 3/4 lb lighter than this but I included anyway. Thanks for looking.

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Locale: New England

John,

Another pack option would be the MLD Core in hybrid cuben.  I’ve run the numbers and it’s very close to the Zpacks Zero (about .2 ounces), but quite a bit cheaper and it should be more durable than the Zero.

John Konrad
    BPL Member

@gcaptain

Where along the central coast do you hike the most?

I agree that a rain jacket isn’t usually needed but the costal weather can be very hard to predict and getting wet miles from the trailhead could prove dangerous… so… I always bring along a space blanket that I can tun into a poncho.

John Brewer
    BPL Member

@jbrewer

Seth, I’ll check that out. I love mld packs. John, I’m on the central coast in Morro Bay area.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

John,

There’s not much to complain about in that list as long as you have plenty of water capacity and warmth.  If you want to go lighter, there are a few things you could reduce, but I am not sure it’s worth it.  It seems the most likely place to cut weight would be in the pack.  No hipbelt is really needed at that weight.  Enjoy your kit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools