Topic

Caldera + Zelph + Toaks 900 ml Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Caldera + Zelph + Toaks 900 ml Question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andrew B
    Spectator

@ajb123

Locale: Seattle

Hi everyone,

I’m gradually switching over to ultralight gear, and just purchased the Ti-Tri bundle with the Toaks 900ml pot to replace my noisy and heavy MSR dragonfly. I have a couple questions perhaps someone experienced with this gear could answer.

First off – I was a bit disappointed that the 12-10 alcohol stove it came with does not fit in the pot; one main reason for getting the Sidewinder is to have everything compact, and in one of the photos on the site, they are all shown fitting together (granted, they show a different pot, but I figured any bundle would work the same way.) Am I missing something? Doesn’t having the stove in a separate container defeat the purpose of a bundle?

OK, second question – I was probably going to buy a Zelph Starlyte burner anyway, at some point. Can anyone tell me if that fits in a Toaks 900 ml pot along with a cone and alcohol bottle? Seems like it should since it lacks the rim, but I don’t want to make the same mistake and end up with two stoves that don’t fit.

Third, do you folks recommend the wood burning option (inferno)? Does anyone carry that in case of some sort of emergency? Just curious.

Thanks for any help! I’m excited to venture into alcohol stove cooking this fall.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

yes the Starlyte stove fits better in the pot and you will not need to raise the pot above the lip of the cone using stakes when boiling water like you will with the 12-10 stove, you can have the pot resting on the lip of the cone like you do when using esbit since the Starlyte stove is shorter than the 12-10  stove.I use only the Starlyte stove anymore not the 12-10

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. HERE is a youtube video by BPL member James DeGraaf showing his Evernew 600ml pot with the Starlyte stove inside

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Here is one with an Evernew 900

YouTube video

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Here’s a thread with the toaks 900 with Starlyte inside the pot:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-caldera-cone-tri-ti-sidewinder-toaks-900ml-130mm-pot/

Andrew B
    Spectator

@ajb123

Great, thanks for the responses. I’ll order the Starlyte now that I know it will fit. My only regret is perhaps I should have bought the smaller pot-cone combo, but we’ll see how it works out in the field.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Andrew, it is my impression that the 900ml Caldera Cone setups seem to sell very quickly on Gearswap. If you want to move down to a smaller setup you should be able to do that without losing too much cheddar.

John H
    BPL Member

@hogie

I have this very setup and love the compactness of the Starlyte (which fits nicely inside the Toaks 900ml pot). You can fit your lighter, a firesteel backup, and small alcohol bottle nested inside the rolled up cone as well, although I usually carry my fuel in a soda bottle in my outside pocket.

Andrew B
    Spectator

@ajb123

John – always nice to hear of someone else who has experience with this set up.

Matthew – good to know! Gearswap sure decreases the risk of experimentation with different equipment.

I am not used to ultralight cooking so not sure what I’ll need in terms of pot size. If I always have extra room in my 900ml pot I’ll know I need to downsize. A lot may depend on my coffee system, which I have not settled on yet. A smaller pot may not accommodate enough for meal and coffee. We’ll see…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools