Topic

By the Numbers: Is Synthetic Insulation Warm When Wet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable By the Numbers: Is Synthetic Insulation Warm When Wet?

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Ian,

If you go to Ebay and search for Stearns float coat, flotation jacket, Personal Floatation Device, boating jacket, etc. you’ll see dozens of used and new ones.

The older used ones are lighter and cheaper.

They were/are meant to be worn instead of a life jacket.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Ian,

If you search Ebay for Stearns, float coat, Personal Floatation Device, etc. you’ll see a lot of them.

Older ones are cheaper and lighter.

Intended use is as a replacement for a life jacket.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Stephen,

Thanks for your good work.

The “warm when wet”  slogan has bugged me for 60+ years of backpacking and other active pursuits.  Heck, once I’ve wetted/swetted out my clothes in the gym I can’t keep warm in a 50 degree room.

Your work  gives me some objective data to support my life long subjective experience.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used a float coat for canoeing.  I think I still have it but haven’t used it for years.

Mine is something like

Ian H
    BPL Member

@carpus

Yeah, I googled it and got the dog version! I guess an MYOG version with a non wettable fabric cover like DCF would be an option for wet environment, and give a bit more safety in creek crossings.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Otherwise known as a Class 3 Personal Flotation Device, technically not a life jacket as it doesn’t hold your head out of water or turn you on to your back. Most modern vests don’t have so much body coverage.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Stephen,

My subjective impression is garments with longer fleece stay warmer , when wet,  than other garments.  If you google “military bear suit fleece jacket cold weather” on ebay you’ll see an example.  Greg brought these to my attention.  The fleece on the one I bought is almost 1/2″ long.

Each day I try different garments when I walk.  When used under a wind breaker the fleece coat feels warmer,  when wet, than fiberfill or less fuzzy polartec garments used under a windbreaker.  I’m a heavy sweater so the garment package is always wet from either sweat or rain.

Lotta variables here.  Just thought my experience might point toward another fabric worth testing.

Long fleece coats aren’t very popular.  I see it used more often in mittens and hats.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

This stuff is a pile. The fuzz in fleece is individual fibers.  Pile is a yarn–multiple fibers with twist.  Pile is what you find in a Buffalo systems garment.  Although I have not tested any of these, I expect it will wick far more effectively than any fleece.  I would expect this to work better when wet.  The structure, like a buffalo systems piece, probably has good one way wicking.  So, moisture entry from the exterior is probably limited and moisture from sweat will probably wick out nicely.  Heavy garment, I imagine.  If you want me to put yours through its paces, PM me.  I would like to test a pile jacket.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Stephen,

Thanks for the testing offer.  I’ll PM you.

Yes, it is a heavy garment.  The Bear Jacket I have weighs 1.5 lbs dry and 2 lbs after 1 hour of sweaty walking.  With rain it can add more weight.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Military Bear Suit Fleece Jacket Cold Weather ECWCS Brown Hunting USGI LARGE | eBay

So, thinking more about the added weight of sweat or rain.  Sweat doesn’t count as added weight because my body must be an equal amount lighter after contributing the sweat.  Rain, on the other hand, is real weight gain.

Talk about added weight.  Many years ago a failed Climb of  Mount Baker left my 9 lb tent crusted with snow and ice that would not come off with any reasonable effort.  I’m sure it added several lbs.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools