Topic

BV500 Bear Canister

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BV500 Bear Canister

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ncwild
    BPL Member

@ncwild

Locale: Western North Carolina

Thinking about getting the BV500 bear canister.  Measures 8.7 x 12.7.  Can’t imagine putting this vertically in a Zpacks Arc Haul.  Does anyone use this and strap it horizontally on the top of your pack?  North Carolina requiring these in the Pisgah Ranger District and a few other areas.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

My bear can fits in my Arc Blast (older model, less volume than the Arc Haul). Zpacks also says it will fit — from their website: “All standard <b>Bear Canisters</b>, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end.”

ncwild
    BPL Member

@ncwild

Locale: Western North Carolina

I realize it will fit, but my concern was that it would not leave enough room for my other gear.  Have you ever tried strapping it horizontally on the top of your pack?

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Some folks empty the can during the day and strap it on top. I would think this to be the best solution when paring a canister with a modern UL pack that otherwise only allow inside vertical placement.

Some areas out west (portions of YOS?) require the food to be contained within the canister at all times.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Have you ever tried strapping it horizontally on the top of your pack?

I have not. My 3-season gear fits inside (using the pockets too) along with the bear canister. Everyone’s kit is different.

Whether and how a bear canister and other gear can fit in someone’s pack is a common question. Got me thinking that there has to be an easy way to home-test this. Now I’ve never tried this, but what about using a large package of paper plates, like this:

The diameter is almost exactly the same as a BV, and eyeballing it the height looks about right (and is easily adjustable), could give you a good stand-in for home-testing a bear canister dimensions and fit.

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

I strap a BV500 horizontally to the top of an osprey atmos pack.

I like it better than I thought I would. With the Zpacks top V strap I imagine it would be stable/secure. If the canister bounces around or shifts it weight then its horrible up top. My advice would be to leave enough space at the top of your pack so the canister rests with its highest point at or below your ears and its midpoint at or below the arc hauls top horizontal bar. Pretty much just where zpacks has it in their picture on the arc hual’s webpage. For me there is a kinda ‘sweet spot’ where the canister’s weight rests and disappears a little on my shoulders.

Its really nice to lay your pack down on its side so the bear canister is upright and access your food without having to open your pack at all.

Other gear companies suggest carrying heavy weight up top as well (Mchale packs, Cilo gear, etc)

Adding weight to the paper plate stack is possible as well. Cut out a hole in the center, or layer weights in the stack.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools