Topic

Butterfly wings: an inspiration for new design

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Butterfly wings: an inspiration for new design

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Kays
    BPL Member

@johnkays

Locale: Southern California

see article relating to waterproofing design
    http://www.icr.org/article/7857/389

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

IMO, Nature and evolution generally solve all problems optimally or near optimally.  Humans usually try to brute force solutions without fully exploring how nature has solved the problem, or perhaps more often not even realizing that nature has solved it.

If somebody succeeds at doing what the article suggests, I will be the first customer.

John Kays
    BPL Member

@johnkays

Locale: Southern California

Yes, the article link was posted for demonstration of substance that fulfills the dream of ours for backpacking technology advancement. It is not beyond possibility considering other adaptations of nature to our passions, e.g. the recent revelation of the Zipp 454 bicycle wheel.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Now run the stuff through the scrub a few times and see how well it lasts.
    Chuckle – or sigh.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’d be willing to test it : )

Thanks for posting

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger, have the cat lick it clean :-) Better yet, have it as a “no wash” item

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I tried that with a sample of some EPIC-treated cotton fabric – as a ‘windshirt’ in the rain. It sort of worked, until we went through some scrub. The EPIC treatment scraped off quickly and I got rather wet.

I discussed this with a techie from the company, and he admitted straight out that this sort of thing would happen. The cotton substrate was simply unable to handle it. In a word: fragile.

Ever seen what happens to a buttefly’s wings if they get scraped? The surface coating is immediately damaged, and falls to pieces. That has been the problem with all of these surface-modification treatments so far: they don’t last in the field against abrasion.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

are you one of those people that pull off butterfly wings? : )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools