Topic

Burried in the Catskills

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Burried in the Catskills

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Companion forum thread to: Burried in the Catskills

I posted before my trip about upcoming severe winter snow storm in the Catskills, 1 – 2 feet of snow and strong winds…

iamkbird
    Spectator

@iamkbird

Locale: Trentham

Great video. I know nothing about snow hiking so it’s interesting. I was trying to understand why you were doing so much shoveling on day 1 and 2 then I understood when I saw day3! Great effort.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Lol. Thanks. The shoveling not only prepped for that big whopper, but it did a few other things too. It gave me something to do physical activity, since obviously I was not getting to the gym those 3 days. It also kept me warm ( active). Another thing, since that second day it was snowing non stop, it kept my area around the tent clean and clear,  and our paths between our sites clear.. easier to walk around. Post holing sucks! Its nice to walk on beaten clean paths. So yes, quite a bit of shoveling.. and then obviously.. that 3rd morning.. well, you saw what happened!!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Looks like fun – Nice to see Bob again too.  Thanks for posting!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Hey Kevin! Honestly, it was all fun and games until day 3 when we had to get down that mountain with near 3 feet fresh wet heavy snow during the storm! Type 3 fun! Now I look back and smirk, in the moment.. I was not a happy camper!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Good video..

Memories:

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Haaa.. lololol!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

A lesson or 2 learned :

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I could picture myself doing that trip (especially with Master Bob along as a guide) EXCEPT for the snowshoeing part.  I knew it must have been bad when there was absolutely no video of your egress until you reached Bob’s new car.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@DanY.. “For this winter”  lol

@Kevin
    .. Yes it was that bad. Bob made it clear, he will not be heading up the mountain again during a noreaster!  I said I would not either, until next year!!

I also think next time I would prefer to spend a few extra days there, possibly wait until someone has already broken trails..

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

Dirtbag,

Excellent video. I subbed to your channel. My fave part of the entire video was the parking lot sene. “Hey Bob, I think we can drive home like this…I see plenty of people that drive like this (I do as well lol).”
    Looked like a great time. Getting out in the winter is the best. My husband and I are headed out this week for the last yurt trip of the season.

As always, thanks for the entertainment.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Hopearotie.. lololol.. all kidding aside, for real though!!  Not sure what they are thinking, but c’mon people.. it doesnt take much to clean snow off your car. Ughhh.. maddening. Thankyou.. and enjoy your upcoming trip!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools