Topic

Brynje Thermo Mesh Review (Wool and Synthetic Base Layers)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Brynje Thermo Mesh Review (Wool and Synthetic Base Layers)

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Fishnet base layers really work.

Back in the day (late ’70s) I had a pair of all wool Norwegian fishnet underwear that I used for Nordic ski patrolling work – until my wife shrunk them beyond hope by putting them in a dryer after I had clearly told her NOT to ever do that. She forked over the money for a new pair that I laundered myself from then on. That was a lesson for both of us and from that day until this I do ALL my own laundry, thank you very much.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Her plan worked perfectly!  $25 for a lifetime of laundry.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yeah, one cannot help wondering …

Cheers

John Conley
    BPL Member

@jchinthe-2

Hi Eric,

Your tale about the shrunken fishnets reminds me of a very similar story. In the 70s I was a member of a climbing club, and at that time was single and sharing a house with another guy from the club and his girl friend. The guy had been a professor in Switzerland and brought back with him some Swiss wool long underwear (not fishnets). They were very nice, very expensive, and unavailable in the US. After a climbing trip, and without discussing it with him, his girlfriend washed and dried a whole load of our dirty stuff, including the Swiss long underwear. When the things came out of the dryer, we all were astonished to see that the Swiss underwear was no shrunk down to the size of Barbie Doll clothing!! The shape and form were preserved exactly, but the scale was now about 1/16th.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

John,

Yeah, my better half also shrunk my Norwegian Gen. 1 polypopleyene long johns to the same dimensions.

Shortly before she shrunk my highly prized 1980 US Biathalon Team wool ski hat – given to me by a US Biathelete at the 1980 Olympics. Aaaarrrggghhh! I may have divorced a lesser woman but finding someone as bright, beautiful and fun would have been impossible.

Arthur, As I said above, the is very bright. She did pre-med on a full scholarship in 3 years. Did I mention she was smart? So yeah, maybe she planned all this “shrinkage”. ;o)

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

As with most of you above, I became acquainted with fishnet in the 70s…cotton fishnet.  It slowly became unavailable or fell out of favor for polypro, the new tech fabric.  Then about 15 years ago I came across an offering by some obscure online outlet for Brynje polypro fishnet T-shirts at $5 a pop. Needless to say I ordered several and most are still in the bag unopened!  For shoulder season and winter wear it can’t be beat for all the reasons discussed above; worn under a grid fleece it’s all I need most of the time while x-c skiing, if the wind picks up then the wind shirt comes out. It’s a fantastic legacy from WWII!

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Just for grins I thought I’d check what Decathlon might carry in fishnet and found a ss T made of 46% polypro and 44% polyamide for $24.99, and the holes are large, not fine, as is the case with some cycling shirts.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Hi Jeff,

My Brynje zipneck wool long sleeve shirt has the panels on the shoulders, inside the mesh. I got it about 7 years ago I think.

This link of the crew neck long sleeve clearly shows the shoulder panels too:

https://skimo.co/brynje-super-thermo-shirt?option%5B2343%5D=18083&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzrK32_Pa5QIV8SCtBh28qQMSEAYYAiABEgLF3fD_BwE

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Monty, do you have a link to the Decathlon stuff? I can’t find any.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

When I saw the email and clicked through to the review all I could think of was one thing:

That none of you men have had to EVER wear the fishnet underwear of hell after birthing a baby. Ask your wives. They scar you for life. You couldn’t pay me to ever relive that again, it is like PTSD.

Otherwise, great review.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Which is why we NEED female contributions to reviews!
    Thanks

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

I warn against getting the zipneck. I have the Brynje wool zipneck and the neck is very poor. It is made of a double layer of heavyweight solid merino fabric. This makes it very slow drying and poorly breathing, so entirely in contrast to the rest of the shirt.

usually I love zip necks for there versatile, and because I always get cold around the lower neck.

Then there is the fit: the collar is very tall and very tight. The irony is, I have a very tall and skinny neck, so usually I’m trying to find taller collars and narrower ones, but even for me, this collar is to tall.

Due to the zipper and thicker fabric, it is also uncomfortable to wear zipped up.

In short, get the crew neck, even if, like me, you prefer zip neck models and have a tall and skinny neck!

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Interesting garment related to this is the Patagonia Mission Peak jacket.

It is a breathable windshields lined with a mesh, slightly thicker than the Brynje baselayers  in the front and shoulders.

Metamorphosis
    BPL Member

@sanjog

Hi Andrew,

What is the dark blue hoody you are wearing on top of the Brynje Mesh (second last picture from the bottom)?

Thanks!

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

I just noticed at our local bike and ski shop, that Björn Daehlie also has wool fishnet baselayer tops, and for better prices.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools