Topic

BRS-3000T – Another One Bites the Dust

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BRS-3000T – Another One Bites the Dust

Viewing 20 posts - 76 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Larry

In the particular case I had in mind, there were some other factors coming into play, like address space, complexity and sheer volume production. Once Intel decided to mass-produce the x86 design, the other products ran into a cost wall.

Cheers

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Mine was strictly from a programming point of view.  The motorola chip was much easier to code for.  The addressing on the intel chip sucked in comparison.  Ah, the good ole days when I cared (or even knew) about such things.

Now that is some thread drift!  ;^)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The Motorola architecture was copied from the PDP-11 and the VAX. Both were infinitely superior to the x86, but volume and $ won the day. And CISC was losing to RISC – not that the x86 was anywhere near RISC. VERY VERY sad. Yes, thread drift. Maybe the BRS-3000T is the ARM?

Cheers

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Ah, the PDP-11, now you really are bringing back fond memories.  That was the first real system I learned to program on.  :^)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread…

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

lol.  And I thought my stove posts were obscure.  :)

HJ

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jim
    Oh, they are, but we can be even more obscure! :)
    Cheers

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, segment addressing could be a bitch.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Oh, VMS solved that.

Cheers

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Anyone ever get sputtering from their BRS-3000 stove? Not sure if it’s clogged or another issue. Change fuel cans and no change.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

‘Sputtering’ independent of the canister? My guess, and I emphasise GUESS, is that you have a lump of dirt under the jet which is rattling around. It may not be very big.

Mind you, what brand of canister? Some Chinese brands have a lot of muck in them. Been there, had that.

Cheers

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

-Roger  MSR ISOPRO and Coleman. I will try to blow some compressed air in there and see if it helps. Thanks.

Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

Locale: Eastern OH

Brad,

I have twice in the short time I’ve had the stove. The first boil I did with it it was sputtering. I followed some instructions found here on BPL to tear it down and clean it out. Worked flawlessly after that until I screwed it onto a canister that was around 16F one morning. It was sputtering again,  but a few minutes in my pocket to warm the fuel fixed that issue.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

It’s an easy stove to disassemble.  Get in there!

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Thanks all. I will take it apart/clean and see if that fixes it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I don’t think the compressed air will help unless you first remove the jet.
    I NEVER travel without a tiny spanner sized to fit the jets on my stove.

16 F is remote inverted canister conditions imho.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

This is what turns me off to BRS 3000T.  If I need to be able to disassemble it in the field, then maybe there’s a reliability problem.

I’ve used Pocket Rocket, and SOTO Windmaster for years, never a hint of failure.

I used a Whisperlight gas stove for years – the jets occasionally plugged up so I had to be able to take that apart.  That’s one of the reasons I switched to canister stoves.

I used a Coleman Exponent F1 canister stove.  Then, it started leaking fuel around the o-rings.  I don’t know if that was user error, a problem with just that stove, or a design problem.  If they still made that stove, I might be concerned about reliability of that stove.

Just one person’s experience

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Interesting, it automatically put a link to purchase the Soto Windmaster, let’s see if it does it again : )

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

If I need to be able to disassemble it in the field, then maybe there’s a reliability problem.
    If the source of the problem was dirt in the canister, then you cannot blame the stove.

Then, it started leaking fuel around the o-rings.
    Degraded O-ring. Uncommon, but possible if the surface of the canister valve in use was not smooth. Some of them tended to rust after a while, but that was variable.

Cheers

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

@Jerry – looks like you’ve been monetized.

The ability to strip down a stove in the field is important as issues can arise because of the canister (dust or sharp edges) or just allowing dust into the system – these a general problems not just ones with the BRS.  With most stoves you need to strip it down when you first get it to ensure there is no fine metal particles in the works as well as breaking bonds on any threads that have been loctited so that not too much force is needed to strip in the field. A slot to handle the jet is easily carved in a spoon handle (and saves .001g). Add in a couple of O rings,a small pack of silicone grease in a section of straw and a pricker made from copper electrical wire (cut 2cm of wire and strip off 1cm of insulation) – 3 grams all up.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

+1 for alcohols stoves and Esbit.

Viewing 20 posts - 76 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!