Topic

BRS-3000 stove mod to prevent melting of the pot supports

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear BRS-3000 stove mod to prevent melting of the pot supports

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

See next post ….

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

The BRS-3000 stove is know for its melting pot supports. When I ran mine on full power with a large pot to test that, they got glowing brightly but did not melt, but I wanted to make sure it won’t happen in the future.

I think a part of the problem (besides the alloy used) is the orientation of the supports, which are angled with respect to the direction of the flame. This exposes larger surface to the flame so they get very hot. I thus bent the pot supports at the very base, aligning them with the flame flow. The material is soft enough to be bent easily using pliers. Here’s a picture:

I repeated the test with running the stove on full power with a large pot, and it is obvious that the pot supports now get heated much less – they do not glow by far as much as before. I suppose they won’t melt now. I’ve used the stove multiple times since then without any problems, although with a smaller pots.

Unfortunately, the mod has its downside too. The stove is much less packable now, with the pot supports protruding to the sides even in the folded configuration. I can live with that — we’re not at backpackingsmall.com, and the weight did not increase.

(it still fits the Vargo 600ml BOT pot along with a 100g cartridge and some room to spare)

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Very interesting observation and correction!  thanks

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, good observation

I was going to give smart ass response – buy a stove whose pot supports don’t melt : )

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jan
    Very clever! My compliments.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools