Topic

Brothers and Sisters, may we have an AMEN! ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Brothers and Sisters, may we have an AMEN! ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

An AMEN! for:

1. Dyneema tents
    2. carbon fiber hiking poles
    3. DWR down treatment
    4. Gore-Tex, eVent and other (fairly) good WPB laminates
    5. Topo GPS devices
    6. Rescue Beacon devices
    7. digital cameras, especially in cell phones
    8. LED bulbs and Lithium batteries
    9. light hiking shoes (& boots)
    10. comfortable synthetic clothes
    11. (some) freeze dried foods
    12. backpacking cottage industries
    13. short trails, medium trails and long trails and the people who made them and those who maintain them
    14. the many environmental organizations that fight daily to help us keep our natural world
    15. patient spouses and partners that put up with our “Magnificent Obsession”
    16. all the medicines that many need to “maintain” and enjoy backpacking (2 Ibuprofen + 1 Alleve = “IBELIEVE”)
    17. The brave politicians who try to keep our natural habitat from exploitation
    18. websites like BPL that keep us connected

And any other backpacking related things you would like to give thanks for.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Good weather and lots of flowers

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

AMEN to trail angels!  When your hot, cold, tired, hungry, miserable, or sore…..nothing beats rounding a trail and seeing a trail angel.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The Wilderness Act of 1964 which protects over 9 million acres of federal land.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Hallelujah, I have seen the “light”.

Add: ziploc bags, pocket-sized water filters, 950fp down, 7d silnylon, titanium.

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

+1 to public lands

Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

The Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act, signed into law by President Jimmy Carter, that protected over 157,000,000 acres (63,535,645 ha).

The Eastern Wilderness Areas Act of 1975, signed into law by President Gerald Ford, that protected 207,000 acres (84,000 ha) of eastern wilderness.

Winston W
    BPL Member

@winstwi-2

1) all the awesome national parks our country has at only $80 per yr membership

2) all the technical fabrics now available to diy’ers by the yard

3) all the cool cottage companies innovating new gear

4) all the fun myog stuff

5) this online community and others to share stories, knowledge, experiences and buy/sell gear so we can experiment

6) that every mountain range and valley is viewable sight is only a spec of many, endless exploration and adventures available

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

That I bought my lifetime “old guy” Nat’l Park pass for just $15 (they have lost a lot of cash on me). So cheap that I bought 2 – one that I keep in my truck, and the other in my MYOG cuben ‘wallet’.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Gary,

Sadly I can’t find my $15. “Golden Eagle” Nat’l. Parks admission card. I think some unscrupulous car dealer worker took it from my car’s console.

William N
    Spectator

@will-n-too

First, let me add my Amen! (I’ve been to China, Japan, the UK, Scotland and Ireland. China and Japan have some pretty spectacular places, and Scotland is really wonderful, but when people say, “Have you ever seen anything so magnificent?” I just agree and appreciate, but can’t keep from thinking about… well, it is a very long list.

I paid $80 for my lifetime old codgers NP Pass and yeah I worry about losing it, or someone seeing the senior and knowing it’s forever and cracking my car window to steal it. Of course I’ve never once seen a ranger looking in a car to see if the card is there.

And Amen! for wool. I grew up in Michigan with cotton as the only option. Pantyhose and baggies on my feet made ice fishing less like hanging out with Robert Scott. Wool doesn’t stink. I thanked every sheep I saw in Dorset on Wessex Ridge Trail until there were people around giving me odd looks.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Amen for this:

And this:

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

For good friends that love to hike with me! For the still vast spaces in my home state that allow unlimited adventuring. For lighter packs that help make it possible. For today’s conservationists who are still keeping public land protected. For mosquitoes that pollinate wild blueberries and feed songbirds, frogs and dragonflies. Will anyone else join me in appreciating mosquitoes? For Deet.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools