Topic

Breathable, quick-drying baseball cap?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Breathable, quick-drying baseball cap?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Todd K.
    BPL Member

@kulbot

Locale: Great Lakes

It’s snowing and 29-degrees right now, but I’m looking toward the warmer months….

I’m looking for suggestions for a baseball cap that is both breathable and dries quickly.  I always wear a Tigers cap or something similar on my trips.  My head tends to sweat a lot and these caps get soaked and remain soaked unless there is sun to dry them.

FYI – I’m not a visor guy.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

I would suggest the OR Swift hat  or the <span id=”productTitle” class=”a-size-large”>Juniper Casual Outdoor Cap</span>.  They are pretty similar, however the Juniper hat is only $10, and it doesn’t have a logo.  I like them both.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

You might also look at Headsweats hats. I use an OR Swift hat and Headsweats running caps. The Headsweats is more breathable as  the OR Swift is solid nylon over the mesh on top. I also like the Headsweats trucker hats as well, just not alone above treeline.

Sara
    BPL Member

@sara

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

+1 on the OR Swift Hat

Mine weights just over 2 oz. on my scale.  I bought it on sale for $21 about three years ago.

It is still going strong after numerous trips in the washing machine.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I have a ballcap from Trailspace.com that is super light (only 1.86oz on my scale) and very breathable. They don’t sell it, I got one for free for writing some gear reviews over there. However, the tag on the inside says it is made by HeadSweats.com, and it appears that the Trailspace hat is the the same hat as the “race hat”, which HeadSweats sells direct starting at $23: http://www.headsweats.com/grid-race-hat-white/

EDIT: Ha, B.J. you beat me to it on HeadSweats.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Budget ?

What about the OR Sun Runner cap ?

Todd K.
    BPL Member

@kulbot

Thank you all for the suggestions!  No budget, so any and all suggestions are great.  OR makes good stuff – glad to hear their caps are popular.

HeadSweats is one I haven’t heard of.  I will definitely check that out.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have an OR Sunrunner and an REI Runners Cap.  The Sunrunner is my favorite cap and I use it without the cape on trips I don’t need sun protection on.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

JOY! The Swift has the elusive buckle on the back that allows it to be securely attached to your pack. I’ve been looking for a baseball hat with that feature.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

The Swift has the elusive buckle on the back

So does the HeadSweats race cap.

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

Only real problem with the Swift hat is the revolting large logo. Its hard to cut off since its embroidered; I did it on one of the caps and it created tiny holes where the thread had gone through. When will outdoors companies learn not everyone wants to be a walking ad??

Lawrence Crowley
    BPL Member

@lawrie_crowleyhotmail-com-2-2

Locale: Victoria

I wear an Icebreaker Quantum Cap which is Merino. It would not dry as fast as the Nylon caps mentioned and retails for $50 which is over the top…. but is a sweet cap!

If you don’t mind looking kind of silly… the Sunday afternoon Adventure Hat is great hat and works flawlessly out on the trail.

Hope it helps,

Lawrie

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

http://hypebeast.com/2014/7/essentials-eric-koston

I use the hat featured above (hover for the review).

Its the Nike SB Performance Trucker Hat. Very comfortable on your head.

Todd K.
    BPL Member

@kulbot

Great stuff, everyone!  Thanks for all the suggestions and links.  I really like the looks of the OR Swift.  I doubt I would ever use the neck thingy on the Sunrunner, however.  Those giant OR logos are a bit much, aren’t they?

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I love my Headsweats in the summer for its breathability. About 3 months ago I purchased an OR Ferrosi Radar Cap, and I love it. Hate the pocket, but love the thin soft shell fabric. It feels very breathable. Also, one thing I love about the OR Radar caps, I have a nylon one also, is that the visor/bill folds in half for easy storage, often in a jacket pocket.

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

My experience mirrors bj.clark’s.  I have the OR Swift plus a few Headsweats hats.  I like the Swift OK, but I find the Headsweats hats to be both cooler and more comfortable for me.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Does anyone have a large noggin and a Headsweats Race Cap? I don’t think my size 7 5/8 head will fit into “one size fits most”…

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Patagonia Duckbill Cap works for me. $29, 1.9 oz on my scale, buckle in the back, fits my XL noggin, flexible brim, lovely reflective patagonia logo in front, assorted wild colors, and very, very breathable:

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Another vote for the OR Swift ball cap.  I own several of them. The only thing I don’t like is the buckle on the back of the cap.  I put a small blob of epoxy on the buckle so that it can’t open and fall off my pack clip.

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

Ooh, that patagonia hat looks swell. But again with the fracking massive logo. Is it embroidered (and can be cut out?) or any other way for me to cover it up?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Love my OR Swift.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Jimmy – if the Patagonia logo is reflective it is not embroidered and could probably be scrapped off.

Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

Eh for the two of 3 companies I actually like, I’m A OK with being their billboard.  Patagonia has been great to me, and I like to believe they have also been a positive force in issues I care about – I’m good with wearing their logos loud and proud.  Outdoor Research to a similar, though slightly lesser extent.

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

Thats great for you Kodiak, then you could put a sticker on your hat. Why do they force down our throats? What if we want to wear it in a more subdued area, like when traveling?

Kodiak Firesmith
    Spectator

@kodiak

I’m good with reppin’ Paty on the road too.  A ton of my hiking and travel stuff overlap.    It’s not like the non-outdoor brands don’t do it as well.  Chaps and Lacoste etc all do it.  Clothing manufacturers mostly all do it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools