Topic

Breathable bug shirt that does not use chemicals?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Breathable bug shirt that does not use chemicals?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a bug shirt that is breathable but that also keeps the bugs out without using chemicals.  Thank you.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I have a Columbia net bug jacket that works very well; however, it is treated with Permethrin which is used in insect repellant clothing using names like Bugs Off and Insect Shield, etc.  I have used IS clothing in Arctic Alaska in July and found it to be quite effective – socks, pants, shirt, jacket, hat, Buff. I realize you don’t want chemicals, but unless you are wearing the jacket next to your skin, everything I have read indicates it is safe.  I have used net jackets without treatment and they are not as effective, imho.

jj
    BPL Member

@calculatinginfinity

Over 2000 miles on my Columbia silver ridge lite shirt, buttons make mechanical ventilation possible and woven nylon means no bug bites

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

If you want something that breathes really well, then The Original Bug Suit is great. Unfortunately, they aren’t light. You also have to make sure to position yourself well (you want to make sure the netting doesn’t touch your skin). Otherwise, a wind shirt is a good option, as these are typically quite light. The tough part is finding one that is breathable. I don’t know if anyone has any recommendations in that regard. I recently bought one made by Montbell because it is white (so that at least on sunny days it won’t soak up the heat) but I have no idea how breathable it is yet.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

+1 on the woven nylon shirts (or pants, for that matter).  It’s very rare to get bitten through them, usually on a mesh insert or if stretched tight across some part of the body.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yeah. The Original Bug Shirt comes to mind for me as well. I think there is a tremendous opportunity for someone to make an UL version of this design. Luke front LUL was about to make one for me and then he stopped making gear. 😕

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Original Bug Suit

Good Grief those look like a sweat box to me…

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I have read that taking Vitamin B12 makes you less attractive to mosquitoes.

I take it. And they don’t seem to like me.

Also, there are repellents other than the toxic ones… Eucalyptus, etc. had been shown to be quite effective.

Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

The Original Bugshirt is the gold standard.  Comes in nylon and cotton. I’ve been known to wear nothing beneath it on the super hot days.

https://www.bugshirt.com

matthew rangel
    BPL Member

@mrangel

I used to wear long sleeve nylon syth shirts but they stink and didn’t prevent bug bites. I think they were Columbia Omni Dry or something. They retain odor and didn’t prevent bug bites.

When I started wearing old cotton long sleeve collard button-up shirts, the bits stopped! The shirts I’m talking about are like thin tailored dress shirts that aren’t so dressy – you know. I find them in department stores. 100% cotton has worked best. They dry fast because they are similar to bandana weight fabric. I’m not kidding – no bites through these cheep shirts!

Matt Berzel
    BPL Member

@mjberzel

I used the Patagonia Houdini Air on my PCT hike last year and it worked great for the mosquitoes and was breathable enough to use as a sun shirt in the sierras.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools