Topic

BREAKFASTS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

cheesy mashed potatoes, contains instant mashed potatoes, dried cheese powder, dried whole milk, bacon crumbles, and green chilis.  http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-breakfast-recipe-cheesy-potatoes/
    Likely similar to the grits, bacon and cheese mentioned above, but thought I would throw it out anyway.  Instead of the canned green chilis I used dried pasilla chilis, about 0.1oz per serving I think.  we ended up adding some crushed red peppers to and that was really good.

For dried milk I use Nido.  Also add it to oatmeal when we have that.  Our breakfast roatation was coaches oats with nuts, dried fruit and Nido, and granola with Nido, and cheesy mashed potatoes.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

re: Dehydrated Grits

If the goal is to replicate in any meaningful way the taste and texture of fresh grits then my attempts at de/re-hydration have been an abject failure.  As any grit aficionado knows, as grits cool they quickly form a very dense skin which inhibits the loss of moisture.  I spread the grits into a thin (~1/8″) layer on the solid dehydrator tray. 45 min later I turned the now nearly solid slab over exposing the still gummy underside and placed it on the fine mesh tray. After another 45 min I removed the slab and chopped it up into ~1/4″ squares returning them to the course mesh tray.  After 12 hours total I had what looked for all the world like very sturdy corn flakes.

The problem is that after rehydration the grits remained ~1/4″ squares and no amount of hand-agitation or squeezing of the freezer bag seemed to help.  After pouring them into a bowl and viciously attacking with a spoon I had a more homogenous mass, but the texture was just all wrong…far too firm and not at all creamy…anything but grits-like. Not even grits-adjacent.

At this point, unless some dehydration Ninja can suggest a different approach, I am disinclined to waste more time and precious grits and am currently resigned to instant grits in the backcountry as they are 100% better that the disingenous mess I made.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

How about pulsing the dehydrated grits in a food processor?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Matthew – I considered that, along with chopping up the semi-dehydrated slab much more finely, but there was just a complete lack of creaminess.  Hard to explain perhaps, but I really can’t see grinding it up more finely bringing back the original texture.

I hope someone else tries and reports back…I’d like to think, in this case at least, that I was incompetent.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yeah the pulsing wouldnt fix the creaminess, only the weird chunking issue.

Have you tried instant polenta? I like this brand.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Hmmmm… that instant polenta (cornmeal) with cheese and turkey bacon crumbles  may be just the thing. I’m getting some next week as I begin my “Breakfast Quest”. It should make for some interesting mornings. Maybe I can get my wife to help taste test and suggest improvements.

This thread is becoming better all the time.

BTW, I tried Idahoan instant mashed potatoes & chives with grated cheddar cheese for lunch last week. Very tasty. One bag makes enough for 3 servings so now I know how to divide it into freezer bags.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

I’m so tired of sweet things and bars in the morning so I tried Eggs Ova Easy instant egg crystals on the JMT which I would add some pepperoni to and it was fantastic and quick.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Epic bites bacon. So good. Taking it on day hikes for the winter.

(but the Epic lamb bar is yuck, and I usually like gamey food)

DancingBear
    BPL Member

@dancingbear

Locale: Central Indiana

MH biscuits and gravy are pretty decent for a “just add water” meal.  I’ve had worse at diners.  The MH breakfast skillet isn’t bad either.

I’m a big fan of Logan Bread for a no-fuss breakfast.  Much better tasting than most bars, and you control exactly what goes into it.

Precooked bacon can be vacuum-sealed into single-serving packets at home.  In camp you can just throw the whole packet into the water that you’re heating anyway for coffee/tea/oatmeal/whatever.  When you fish out the packet, cut it open and enjoy hot bacon with no messy cleanup.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

+1 to the above. For winter I’d add biscuits and maybe gravy (MH brand ok but would add spice), VIA coffee. Summer, I quit coffee and, solo, go with cold cereal individually seal in individual plastic bags exclusively. Group-wise I’ll be a bit more elaborate as not to drool over campmates food; I was impressed when going on a trip with fellow BPLees awhile back, how much good stuff can be cooked out there …. if one has enough time for breakfast.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools