Topic

Breakfast shake soylent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Breakfast shake soylent

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

I’m going to try a soylent breakfast shake on my backpack trip.  I need to add cream so I order heavy cream in powder to add.  I will also add chia see to the mix.

I usually just take a couple of smart water bottles for water and didnt want to add another container.  Any ideas?  Thought I would just use the smart water bottle, anyone try this?

thank you!

Pam

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’d recommend trying it at home first. I’m sure one shake won’t make a difference, but the stuff has been known to cause gastric distress to some. You might want to test that out before you head to the woods.

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

Good thinking Doug!  I’ll give it a try beforehand…wouldn’t want to have an issue on the trail.  I like to get up and go in the am and though this would be a great solution!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If I’m out long enough to go to F-D food, I try to transition from around-town food to F-D over a day or two. My first 36 hours has a tapering amount of wraps, sandwiches, and other “normal” food as I increase the F-D food consumed.  That, and adding a few foods with fiber “keeps things moving” at a nice pace – not too fast and not too slow.  That I’m using slightly heavier (but cheaper) foods early on doesn’t add many pound-miles because they are consumed first.

Similarly, as Doug suggests, before committing to Soylent, give it a try at home.  And consider a transition the day or two on the trail or in the days before you leave.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

For reasons entirely explained by the still above, I’m not eating anything called “soylent” in any circumstance where I have an alternative.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

If i’m making shakes on backpacking trips, I’ve had more success using bottles with wider mouths than the Smart Water bottles.  I tend to spill too much powder using the Smart Water bottles.  That’s just me though.  If you’re careful, I’m sure you can do it.

Personally not a big fan of Soy Protein Isolate as a protein powder though.

Pamhikes
    Spectator

@pamhikesfl

thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools