Topic

BPL carbon fiber Trekking pole low-cost Repair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL carbon fiber Trekking pole low-cost Repair

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

I finally broke one of my original (one-piece) BPL carbon fiber Stix trekking poles.   My ‘temporary’ repair has worked so well that I’ve kept using them.

Supplies used:   Four standard aluminum beverage cans (the flat/cylinder portion), 30 minute epoxy along with some Leukotape.

First step was rolling 2 of the aluminum cans into a VERY tight scroll and inserting it into the 2 broken pole pieces.  With about 1″ of the  aluminum tube showing (center point), epoxy was then applied and the 2 pole pieces were then slid together (with the broken sections aligned to fit snug).  After curing, the break area was sanded smooth and the other 2 aluminum pieces were then wrapped tightly around the outside.   These were then banded tightly with Leukotape and as a bonus, epoxy was painted over the tape.  So far the repair seems extremely strong…and I canceled my order for new poles.  :(

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

…and now you have custom poles :)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Clever. Nice.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I like what you did a lot, Steve. My Stix poles are some of my most prized gear possessions. When they were available, I bought a pair of 125 cm poles (I wish that they made 120 cm ones…). I went back to buy another pair for backups, but all that they had left were 130 cm poles, selling at a decent discount. I figured that if one of the 125 cm poles broke, I could find a way to get the handles off the 130 cm poles, shorten them, and put the handles back on. Then, of all things, someone here on BPL was selling a pair of 135 cm Stix rather cheaply. I jumped on them , and they work perfectly for snowshoeing. Stix ‘R’ Us!

Ryan had all sorts of great ideas for gear pieces back then. Maybe my favorites are the Thorofare shirts, which are made of Pertex Equilibrium, a most amazing material that no one else seems to use.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools