Topic

Borah Gear Snowyside eVent bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Borah Gear Snowyside eVent bivy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

https://youtu.be/PQ9zat7YYPg

I just posted a very short clip of my Borah Gear Snowyside eVent bivy set up for camp on 2 different nights from my recent trip in the Catskills on the Escarpment trail.

The temps were mid 40s both nights and the first night it was very wet and damp out from previous days rain. The second night I was camped on rock top with spectacular open views of the night sky and fell asleep to millions of stars all around!! Both nights I slept with it unzipped since there were no bugs or rain/snow.. I used my Enlightened Equipment 40° Enigma quilt and my Thermarest Xlite regular/wide  pad.. with a Gossamer Gear 1/4 thinlight pad under the bivy.  I did use a piece of poly plastic under the bivy because the ground was so wet and soggy, so it was nice to have that small dry spot to stand and change and not get wet socks/feet. There was 0 condensation issues on either night and I slept so warm and cozy both nights!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Typo.. it was Gossamer Gear 1/8 pad.. not 1/4.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

So, no big netting needed, then?  Did the Event seem to block the wind as well as your other bivys? It sounds like it breathed very well.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

No bug net needed. I did bring my bug head net just in case, did not use it, and there were No bugs or nasty weather.. so I kept it open and unzipped. It breathes excellent!! Much better then my other bivys in Argon material.  Though a slight bit heavier… but eVent is also waterproof.. Argon is not.

No condensation possible because I had it open.. and I was not zipped up and enclosed inside.. breathing in it either.

It definitely kept me a few degrees warmer too. Without a doubt.. a great nights sleep.. 2 of them!!

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Nice!

I have always taken a non-waterproof bivy and a tarp.

I want to take a waterproof bivy for my next trip – (AZT) – I have a MLD eVent and have ordered Miles Pico bivy.  I am thinking that I will take a poncho which I can then make a porch by sticking the hiking poles into the ground and attaching one end of the poncho to the two poles. The other side can drape over the entrance to the waterproof bivy. This way, I can unpack backpack and put things etc into the bivy if it is raining when I get to campsite and no trees are around.

What do you do under such circumstances – when it is raining? I don’t want to take a tarp as it adds weight….just thinking out loud.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I carry mostly the Gatewood Cape now. Sometimes a Borah Gear silpoly 7×9 tarp..

The Gatewood Cape is nice and its simple.  Though the open flat tarps are special!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I wish they were still making them, it is a great bivy and price.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

The 7×9 tarp is BIG. I meant to say I usually bring the Borah Gear Solo silpoly tarp.. its 5.8×9.  Much smaller then the 7×9 but its plenty big enough when used with a bivy.

I still favor the Gatewood Cape.. a few ounces heavier.. but sets up incredibly fast and brainless if needed in a pinch. Personal preference… i guess.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

here it is pitched over my Bristlecone bivy last winter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools