Topic

Book – The Adventurer’s Son by Roman Dial

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Book – The Adventurer’s Son by Roman Dial

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Audible just alerted me that “The Adventurer’s Son” by Roman Dial is now available and I was wondering if anyone has yet read or listened to it yet.  Here’s the Audible summary:

In the tradition of Into the Wild comes an instant classic of outdoor literature, a riveting work of uncommon depth. I’m planning on doing four days in the jungle…. It should be difficult to get lost forever: These were the haunting last words legendary adventurer Roman Dial received from his son, before the 27-year old disappeared into the jungles of Costa Rica. This is Dial’s intensely gripping and deeply moving account of his two-year quest to unravel the mystery of his son’s fate.

In the predawn hours of July 10, 2014, 27-year-old Cody Roman Dial, the son of preeminent Alaskan scientist and National Geographic Explorer Roman Dial, walked alone into Corcovado National Park, an untracked rainforest along Costa Rica’s remote Pacific Coast that shelters miners, poachers, and drug smugglers. He carried a light backpack and machete. Before he left, he emailed his father: “I am not sure how long it will take me, but I’m planning on doing 4 days in the jungle and a day to walk out. I’ll be bounded by a trail to the west and the coast everywhere else, so it should be difficult to get lost forever.”

They were the last words Dial received from his son.

The Adventurer’s Son recreates the author’s two-year quest to learn the truth about his child’s disappearance. Immediately after Cody Roman’s planned departure date passed without a word from him, Dial set off for Costa Rica. As he trekked through the dense jungle, interviewing locals and searching for clues – the authorities suspected murder – the desperate father was forced to confront the deepest questions about his own life. Roman had raised his son to be fearless, to seek out adventure amid earth’s wildest places. Was he ultimately responsible for his son’s fate?

A harrowing story of drama, adventure, and a father’s love for his son, set in the most beautiful and dangerous reaches of the planet, The Adventurer’s Son is a mystery, the memoir of a father and his son, and an unforgettable story of love and profound loss.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I read an excerpt on Outside online and had followed the initial reports when he originally went missing. I’m looking forward to the book but haven’t read it yet. A tragic loss!

Roman Dial (the father) might have been or is still on BPL.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, I think Roman Dial is/has been on this site

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/21/arts/television/review-missing-dial-follows-parents-in-a-search-for-their-vanished-son.html

National Geographic series about this story

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

This has been on my radar for some time, looking forward to reading it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools