Topic

Book Review: On Trails by Robert Moor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Book Review: On Trails by Robert Moor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

Companion forum thread to: Book Review: On Trails by Robert Moor

How do trails form? Why do trails form? Come to think of it, what is a trail? These are but a few of the (deceptively simple) questions author Robert Moor attempts to answer in his book On Trails (Simon and Schuster, 2016). Moor – a lifelong backpacker and Appalachian Trail thru-hiker in addition to being a writer – approaches his subject with lyrical language and journalistic due-process. The result is a book as quietly spiritual as it is wildly informative.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I read that a while ago. I agree it’s definitely worth reading.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Who wants to read this book? I’ve got a copy I’ll be happy to pass on. It’s a really good read! Could we manage a member driven book exchange on BPL?

If you’d like to read this book pm me your name and I’ll keep a list. The first person ( I’ll pm them that they are first)  can send me a self-addressed, postage paid envelope and I’ll send them the book.

Maybe this could be organised without a level of pm’ing that people would find awkward? and the inevitable one to one exchange of mailing addresses? I guess this goes on with gear sales all the time.

Anyway I’ve got a copy I’ll pass on if anyone wants it.But I guess I’d stipulate that you be willing to PM an address for the next person to pass the book on. Is that too much ?

Seeing this review just reminded me again that the helpful exchange of information is a high value on BPL and books, literature, even media information is part of that. Maybe we could amend the forum “on the Web” to “Web, Books, Media” or something like that.

A complimentary read might be Wanderlust: by Rebecca Solnit. Which is more about rambling, walking, pilgrimages etc than trails.

Jason
    BPL Member

@cheaptentguy

Also strongly recommend. One of those books that touches on so many aspects of life while still focusing on the core subject.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Stopped reading this book about 40% through a few months ago, and haven’t picked it up again. I can see why many people like it, but the writing style was not for me.

— Rex

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools