Topic

Book recommendation, Wayfinding, Getting lost…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Book recommendation, Wayfinding, Getting lost…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

Did a little wander the last few weeks and had a couple long flights found this book to be a good read. NPR interviewed the author and I was hooked. If you like Bill Bryson stuff or <i><b>Longitude: ,by Dava Sobel… I think you will like this one….</b></i>

NPR interview about 30min…

Maura O’Connor, author of Wayfinding: The Science and Mystery of How Humans Navigate the World,

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Thanks, I listened to the first part, got stuff to do I’ll listen to the rest later

One thing is, the idea that the GPS will lead you astray, like on a route that takes you over a cliff.  Or over a mountain that’s closed by snow and if you blindly follow it you’ll die.

I don’t think that’s the fault of the GPS or shows they’re no good.  We have to apply the common sense.  Don’t blindly follow.  If you’re going to an unknown wild area, you better first check with humans familiar with the area.  You can go on a different road than the GPS commands you to go, and it will recalculate the new best route.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

There’s a problem trying to follow a GPS in some country …

Cheers

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

No different than following a compass and map, eh? Assuming the GPS map has contour lines…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

GPS map ???
    I have never heard of them. Or do you mean a topographical map? They do have contours – whence the name.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools