Topic

Bone mass/arterial degredation after PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Bone mass/arterial degredation after PCT

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

“I’ll just note that virtually everything we do to our bodies to improve them injures them a bit in the short term…”

Yes, but there are degrees, no? A long day on the slopes, or at the gym; or a hard six day hike isn’t comparable to attempting a FKT of the JMT or a six month hike of the PCT, etc.

Of course.  But as I averred above, we don’t know from the subject “study” whether the damage to the hiker happened progressively over the months or over a few push days at the end, nor do we know if he recovered to a state worse, equal, or better than he started.

There have been studies…

But we’re not discussing those studies. :-)

Don’t get me wrong, I suspect most of what’s being theorized in this thread is probably correct.  But the subject “study” doesn’t tell us much–if anything–about all that.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

If one needs a series of studies to confirm that they’ve beaten the crap out of their body to the point of hallucination from sleep deprivation and stress from non stop hiking on an attempt at FKT on the JMT…then one is completely out of touch with their body. “I collapsed and couldn’t finish the hike because of exhaustion. I experienced a series of sudden extreme symptoms. Could this have been detrimental to my health? Who knows! no studies have been published.”

Wow.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m not sure where we’re missing each other, jscott.  My one and only point is that the study that is the subject of this thread is not much of a study.

Merry Christmas!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It is not a ‘study’, it is an anecdote from someone who was hallucinating.

Me, I thought walking was supposed to be fun, enjoyed, and ‘good stuff’. Where did those guy(s) lose the message?

Cheers

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

When I went on my failed pct attempt I noticed a lot of the hikers were young and had strict food budgets.   I think cheap food usually equals lack of nutrients.
    Also stopping at every town costs money (good food, a bed) so a young person might avoid this.
    I ate healthy in the towns, carried cucumbers and carrots on trail, zeroed in a bed every four days.  Only averaged 12 miles per day.

I only did 700 miles but only lost fat as far as I can tell.  My legs where more muscular and my upper was the same.  I felt great but this is not scientific.  My poor choice of footwear was what took me out.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Sorry, Todd; my comments weren’t directed at you, but to the current notion that only ‘scientific’ studies can tell us about our lived experience. You of course were not saying this at all.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools