Topic

bonding nylofume to nylofume for a water bucket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear bonding nylofume to nylofume for a water bucket

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

Just returned from an overnighter where I brought my sea to summit water bag, it sure is handy.  But at 4 oz, I started wondering if I could do better for a longer hike where weight is more important.  I spied my nylofume pack dry bag and knew the potential is there.  Seems like it would be easy to cut down a bag and use the material cut off to make the handle.  The bags weigh an ounce, so the finished product even with the bonding material has to be less than an ounce.  Only question is what to use for bonding material?  Anyone ever tried something like this?

Matt

R
    Spectator

@autox

I haven’t tried this, but glue wouldn’t be my first approach.

If you don’t need the full volume, you could leave the bag at full length, don’t fill it completely, then gather the excess at the top and grab it.

You could use it to line a stuff sack and cary it by the draw cord.  Or even do the same with your empty pack.

You could put a patch of tape on each side of the lip and make a handle from a piece of cord, like this: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/59450/page/10/#post-2237270  You could similarly do 2 cord handle for 4 attachment points to reduce the load on each.

You could poke multiple holes around the lip and thread a draw cord through that.  Carrying it by the cord would distribute the load across each hole.

You could cut hand holes an inch or so below the lip and grab it like a plastic grocery bag.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Thanks for the idea’s Rene.  I was looking to copy the design of the sea to summit bag I have, but your thoughts opened up a whole new realm of possibilities.  Your post lead me to this one – https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/how-to-make-a-polycryo-a-frame-tarp/#post-3388920

Tape and string may be a good way to go, and is simple to test.

The nylofume bags I have are really big I am realizing, so cutting them down would be required I think.  A bag size of 12″ or so would be even better than the 20″ width bags I have, but I have not seen any nylofume bags that are smaller.  Could be a different material as well though.

R
    Spectator

@autox

One more:

Make 2 big ‘U’ cuts from the top edge, leaving two long strips pointing straight up – 2″ wide?.  Tie them together to make a bucket handle. I’d tie a double fisherman knot.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Exactly!  Why remove the original material and rebond it?  Great idea.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools