Topic

Bomber SUL pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Hi all,

Recently I have been doing some off trail travel and plan to do more. I am in the market for a new pack with less volume, I need around 20-30 liters capacity.  It needs to be bomber though, the off trail stuff I do is brutal on my gear.  i currently use a dyneema (140D) Kumo 36 which so far has held up great until last weekend when I finally ripped it.  It is repairable and I will repair it, but it will be reserved for longer and or more luxury trips where I need more volume.  i tried to get Joe at Zpacks to build me a a 210? denier zero with no luck.  I do not require any pockets other than water bottle pockets. Any ideas?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

.ZIMMER BUILT  does custom packs, Chris Zimmer is a member

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

you could also try Nathan Meyerson of CASCADE CRAFTWORKS he is a member here also

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Zimmer is expensive no? I don’t want to break my wallet either if possible, I should have mentioned that. Cascade Craftworks looks promising I will check that out.  Thanks Link.

I guess it is time to brush off the dust from my sewing machine and attempt to start making my own gear.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

it wouldn’t hurt to ask how much Chris would charge for a small simple pack like you are looking for he is very nice and asking is free, he is out until 7/25

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

This is true thanks Link. I guess I never thought of the other custom backpack guys. I will do some asking around!

Jeremy A. W
    BPL Member

@jwerlin

Believe it or not, my Ultimate Direction Fastpack 20L has held up to some pretty grim canyon bushwhacks. Oak brush, juniper, sandstone chimney’s–that kind of stuff. I have become a fan of the vest style, too. My 2012 Murmur is not as nearly comfy loaded with the same gear & weight (~12 pounds) as the UD. With trimming I got mine UD down to 18.5 oz. Sounds heavy until it is on my back.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Thanks for the tip Jeremy, I will look into that.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

MLD Core 28L Dyneema X (210D)

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

I was actually just looking at that pack Monte thanks.  It seems to fit the bill with the 210D dyneema but I the lack of water bottle pockets are a deal breaker. I have considered trying 2 small bottles on the shoulder straps, but sometimes I do have to do a water carry for dry stretches or dry camping. I could just put some platy’s in the main pack body I suppose.  Decisions, decisions.

I noticed one of the features of the Core is minimum possible seams, with one double stitched seam. this seems promising although not sure if that one seam is prone to failure.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

It’s the reason I hadn’t suggested the pack to you in my first response since you had stated that you wanted water bottle pockets, KS PACKS  (located in Japan ) is one to look at, they have all kinds of packs and sizes and do all kinds of features you can add or in your case leave things off, you may be more interested in a more local company though ,good luck on the search.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Here is Mathews recent REVIEW: KS 40 DYNEEMA BACKPACK BY KS ULTRALIGHT .

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

KS Ultralight looks awesome, as do the other custom options.

If you want something from a big brand, I came recently upon this pack called the Black Diamond Nitro 26.

It’s 24L in S/M, and 26L in M/L. I don’t know if it’s light enough for SUL purposes. But for a normal pack it is light, while it has a lot of features. But why I responded is because the fabric itself was the most burly I’d ever seen. 210D Ripstop material like you mentioned in your post and it did feel insanely solid.

I tried it on and the fit was really good. Thin but effective inverted U frame that provided some support but the back of the pack wasn’t rigid. I think it could be good with some running/climbing, even with the hip belt.

It had load lifter straps, hip belt side straps (to cinch pack closer). Big bottle pockets (possibly allowing for two bottles next to each other in each), big stow pocket (not mesh – personally would like stretchy mesh, but this is better for off trail or rock use). Minimal padding but effective. Very comfortable. Two outside top slid pockets (one fleece lined for sunglasses etc.). Nice daisy chains on back of pack.

I’m myself not looking at all for a pack like this but if I was it would be a good contender.

I think you can go lighter, or different form type. If I need this type of volume I like the UD Fastpack 20 mentioned above. This one is more burly, and I think more easy to carry additional weight because of the light frame and hip belt. I just fell in love with the vest design of running packs.

Hope you find what you need.

Lizz Roe
    BPL Member

@rebelgirluk

Locale: Cardiff

I’ve just invested in a KS lumbar pack with bells and whistles and I’m going to use that in combination with an onyaback silk daysac- it’s not water proof so I use a plastic carrier bag inside and that keeps everything exceptionally dry for almost no weight gain, I removed the carribiner the bag came with but kept the attached stuff sac it comes with to use as a pocket, when you unpack it it falls on the inside, I could have replaced the straps with grosgrain ribbon or similar but I quite like them. I also like the colours they come in – mine is fuscia and turquoise (I also have the large messenger bag from this company in the same colour way which has a stupid amount of capacity! I have managed to go on lengthy trips with just these two bits of luggage (and a neck purse for passport and cards). The on ya bag is awfully light – they also do small mesh bags ostensibly for vegetables but I use them for ditty bags.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I have to say that I’m not sure that “SUL” and “bomber” can ever really go together.

That said the MLD Core or Burn sound about right.  They’re utterly frameless and made of 210d Dyneema X.  MLD has a pretty good reputation for quality.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

I have to say that I’m not sure that “SUL” and “bomber” can ever really go together.

Not important to the thread, or may be worthy of its own thread, but my Montbell Tachyon is four years old, 70g, and seemingly indestructible. First 1,5 year I wore that thing every week. Guy I know crashed on his bike with it, had good wounds on his arm, but not a scratch on the Tachyon.

But agree SUL and bomber is rare. Lightweight or UL and ‘bomber’ maybe easier.. Though I think I saw a comparison ones with items and and their weights and it wasn’t so much the fabric as the extra ‘features’ that made a lot of difference in the weight.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Tachyon is a jacket, not a pack, isn’t it?  But, yes, there is an old analysis here on BPL somewhere to the effect that the fabric a pack is made of has minimal effect on it’s end weight.  The suspension and “extras” (as you say) are what makes a heavy pack.  But when someone says “SUL pack” I think of something made of cuben fiber and moonbeams.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Thanks all for the suggestions. I guess what I meant was “bomber small volume pack”. While my Kumo is heavy for SUL I find it to be pretty solid with the 140d dyneema, just a little too big for my gear.  If my base weight is still under 5 pounds with a “bomber small volume pack”, I think I can still call it a “SUL bomber pack”. =)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

The MLD Core (mentioned above by Dean F) comes in 1700ci (28 liter) and 1300ci (22 liter) sizes and weigh about 8 oz (227g).

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I have to say that I’m not sure that “SUL” and “bomber” can ever really go together.”

Some perspective:  2.5 oz/yd2 full Dyneema or Spectra fabric is probably equivalent strength and durability wise to say to at least 10 oz/yd2 Cordura nylon fabric.

A bare bones, smaller pack made out of such a material can be pretty dang light and still bomber.

Unfortunately though, not to many folks making packs out of such arcane and rarefied materials.  And the ones who do, charge quite a pretty penny for them.

Eli Zabielski
    BPL Member

@ezabielski

Locale: Boulder, CO

Pretty sure Ron could easily add some bottle pockets from the Burn/Prophet to the sides of an MLD Core if you ask. So maybe 8oz in Dyneema for the 22L or 7oz in Cuben? Pretty darn light.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

I’m not sure but I think I read here in the Gear Forum about somebody asking for that and Ron not wanting  to do that. If I remember correctly the reasoning was that part of the Core and was keeping it simple and cheap so no customisations. You could argue of course that he can just raise the price if somebody wanted a custom job.

Again, not certain and I for sure don’t want to discourage anybody from simply shooting Ron a mail and asking.

Worth noting the main compartment of the MLD Burn is in between the Core sizes. 1500ci for the Burn vs either 1300 or 1700ci for the Core. Of course the Core packs are lighter and quite a bit cheaper.

I agree a Core with pockets would be nice in the line-up.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

#1 for Zimmer packs. And he will customize them a bit for you.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools