Topic

Bobcat versus rattlesnake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Bobcat versus rattlesnake

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I think this is cool :)

Bobcat versus rattle snake

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

Super cool!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, that is cool

did the Bobcat eat it?

It looks just like my kitty cat when it’s playing.  Kitty cats are just one step away from being wild animals, scary…

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

We are all just one step away from being wild animals Jerry. Some of us less than that…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Can’t quite tell from the last photo who won. Who won?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I don’t know but looks to me from the sequence that it started behind the camera and may have continued out of frame. I think the bobcat got bit. That is all I got. Oh, one pic seems to show a bite on the face of the cat, maybe.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Oh geeze I hate rattlers and want to reach out and pull the bobcat away. And yeah I know all about how nature is red in fang and claw.

I have my reasons.

I’m trying to become less feral in society and more wild in solitude.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Since I posted these on IG a herpetologist added some info. The snake is a pregnant western pacific rattlesnake and bobcats are very efficient and proficient in killing and eating them..

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Yeah, I saw another video of a bobcat/snake encounter. The bobcat is a pretty amazing snake hunter. It smacks the snake, and then literally jumps back as if it were on springs to avoid getting bitten.

Here’s the video:

YouTube video

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. Kipling’s mongoose. First he killed the cobra Nag. Then he went after his wife, Nagaina, “who was worse than a hundred Nags.” I still remember my third grade teacher laughing at that line. Then he crushed the cobra eggs.

Umm, I guess I’m rooting for the bobcat.

edit: after seeing the last video:…”the bobcat lands blow after blow, like Ali; even biting the snake like Mike Tyson…” ouch! that’s gotta hurt Tyson.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That’s pretty funny

I’ll have to get video of my kitty doing that, except with a toy rather than snake.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

That was something else! I need to work on that type of presentation ;)

I moved my video camera from there before I left on my trip. That would have been a great clip, that close and with good sound. Oh well.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

“I’ll have to get video of my kitty doing that, except with a toy rather than snake.”

that would be incredible!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Your videos are already great Kat. If you could only get a snake that knew how to stay in front of the camera you’d be all set!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Very cool Kat.

are you on Instagram?  If so, hit me up at Ian Bloom aka Gruntinahammock as I’d love to follow your pics on there

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^ done :)

on there I am @bergundwald

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Grunting in a hammock? I don’t want to know….

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Wow, Kat.  I love the one with straw floating down through the air; presumably the cat is up above the field of view somewhere on that one!

Even though you didn’t get it on video, these shots really portray the action going on quite well!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools